Re: [TalkAntietam] re Dick Weeks aka Shotgun

  • tangogee
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15 1:00 PM
      Well said Gerry! I had the great privilege to spend a day wandering around second Bull Run battlefield with Dick, one scorching hot May day. I will remember that day always. Dick was that great rarity among historians, he was great story teller rather like Ed Bearrs or Shelby Foote he made the battlefield come to life in a way that absolute novices could understand and enjoy at the same time as exhibiting an accuracy of detail to satisfy examination by experts. Having said that it doesn't begin to explain what man he was. Few men deserve the accolade hero, Dick did! he let slip a little of service history over a cold beer that day at Manassas. It doesn't show what a great sense of humour he had anyone who knew him will smile when they have a drink of water after all we all know what fish do in water don't we? I will never crack a beer open without a passing thought of Dick's unique way of measuring distance, his lawn was 4 can lawn to mow, his mother in law lived 2 beers away and Gettysburg was a case and a half! We haven't just lost a friend we have lost a legend.

      I will now have a beer and read a passage of Hennesey in Dick's memory

      God Bless you Dick

      Granville

      In a message dated 15/09/2013 20:42:30 GMT Daylight Time, gerry1952@... writes:

      Dear All,

      I believe some of you are recipients of Harry Smeltzer's blog Bull Runnings. Harry posted the following the other day about our mutual friend Dick "Shotgun" Weeks:

      "Received word from Michelle (Dick's daughter) that Dick passed on Thursday. In her words: “I first want to thank you all for the wonderful messages that you sent to me and my dad. They meant the world to us both. I will be responding to each of you soon. I am writing because I have some very sad news. Shotgun passed away (peacefully) on Thursday. The Civil War and this community meant the world to him and I want to thank you all for being a part of his life and feeding his passion. While he didn’t get the opportunity to meet all of you in person, he considered you his Civil War family. Thank you again for making his life so rich with your knowledge and friendship. If anyone is local and would like to attend the service this Tuesday, please message me for details. He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery alongside all of the other soldiers in a couple of months. Thank you again.”

      Here is Dick Weeks' obituary which was posted in The Washington Post and also apparently on Facebook:

      "Richard Ernest Weeks of Herndon, Va died on Thursday, September 12, 2013. He was 73. He was born on April 28, 1940 in Geneva, Alabama. In 1958 he married Peggy Johnson, and together they had three children, Richard, Jr., Michael and Tonia Michele. Richard was a member and retired from the United States Air Force after 22 years of service. He continued a professional career Until retirement in 1994. A unique soul, Richard's passion and interests included his family and civil war history. He created a website dedicated to the civil war. Many have been influenced by his work. He will be greatly missed.

      Richard is survived by wif , Peggy, son, Michael (Cheri), daughter, Tonia Michele, (Andy), grandsons, Nico and Ryan, and sister Margaret Jean (Paul) as well as nieces, nephews, and cousins. He was predeceased by his son Richard, Jr.

      A memorial service and celebration of life will be held Tuesday, September 17 from 3 to 7 p.m. at Bethel Free Will Baptist Church, 3713 Pennington Lane, Woodbridge, VA. He will be laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery."

      We have all of us lost a true friend and a true gentleman. I myself count myself privileged to have known Dick and his passion for the Civil War. In his own quiet way, Dick did much towards CW research and information-sharing. Like the late Brian Pohanka, he will be sorely missed.

      http://milfordalive.com/gerard-e-mayers/

      https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers

      http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

[...]

      - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=richard-e-weeks&pid=166959095#fbLoggedOut

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16 5:19 AM
        Thanks for posting this.

        Tom Clemens
        Keedysville, MD
        antietam@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17 5:14 AM

          You are very welcome, Tom. I just wish I could afford to make the funeral.

          Gerry