Re: Lt. Col. James C. Lane Photo

    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 26, 2013
      Thank you; I will use your info citing you if that is OK?

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.recker" <recker@...> wrote:

      > That is actually from a pamphlet written by O.T. Reilly to accompany their visit to Antietam. He is not given credit in the history of the 124th PA. The final paragraph of the original unedited pamphlet reads "O. T. Reilly is your Guide. If you wish any Guide Books, Photographs of the Field or Genuine Relics you can get them at his relic room in Sharpsburg, or of his agents on the field."
      >
      > There is a paraphrase of this in his 1906 guide book: "Gen. Jos. K. F. Mansfield, who commanded the 12th corps, Union, came onto the Line farm about midnight of the 16th, and at daybreak on the morning of the 17th, before his men had time to get something to eat, a message was sent to come to the relief of General Hooker, then hotly engaged in and near the East Woods. Just as General Mansfield was entering the woods near where his monument stands he received his mortal wound, in the breast, by a minnie ball. He was carried back to the George Line house, where they had advanced from and died the same day. The house that General Mansfield died in isn't the house standing there now. Mr. Line sold the old house which was log, rough-casted, to Mr. Daniel R. Bovey, who removed it and rebuilt it for his dwelling on the hill near the Hooker Bridge and it is now eased with brick."
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The 124th Pennsylvania veterans recalled the incident upon their return to the battlefield during the 17 September 1900 reunion of the regiment:
      > >
      > > The Dr. Joe Smith (now Bovey) farm extends down to the [Pry] Ford....

    • pa128th
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 14, 2013

        FYI

        You are invited to help
        Celebrate Historical La Mott and Honor the United States Colored Troops 150th Anniversary and the founding of Camp William Penn*

        10:00 AM – 4:00 PM in Historical La Mott
        Parade
        Lectures
        Films
        Music
        Guided and self-guided walking tours
        Exhibits
        Encampment
        Regimental USCT Re-enactors
        Impersonators of Civil War Figures

        Rain or Shine
        Events will take place inside and outside

        Visit www.usct.org for information as the program is developed
        Phone: 215 885-2258

        Presented by: Citizens for the Restoration of Historical La Mott and The Camp William Penn Museum with support of The 3rd Regiment USCT Re-enactors and The 6th Regiment USCT Re-enactors

        *Camp William Penn, which was located in what is now modern day La Mott, was the first and largest Federal training site for colored soldiers during the Civil War.

        Note: Volunteers needed for help in all aspects of this event; some starting now and some the day of the event. Ideas and suggestions are also welcome. If you are able to help or participate, please contact:
        Citizens for the Restoration of Historical La Mott (CROHL)
        1618 Willow Avenue
        La Mott, PA 19027
        Phone: 215 885-2258
        Email: pt@...