Re: [TalkAntietam] Mercer Museum exhibit/128th Pa

    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 25 5:01 AM
      Paula,

      I have a cabinet card of their monument at Antietam with the old War Dept. fence and a pinback with ribbon from their 1924 reunion in Reading. You are welcome to use either.

      The New Jersey Historical Society in Newark has a nice old image of Croasdale's knoll.

      John Mead Gould's son took a bunch of images of the 128th's positions in 1891 and wrote verbose descriptions of the images. I have the descriptions but not images, but the text might be revealing.

      Gould corresponded a lot with Frederick Yeager of the 128th. The three Yeager Antietam images I have found (in Gould's Papers at Dartmouth) are in my book, Rare Images of Antietam. I have modern images of his photo studio location in Reading that I did not use. I also have a number of letters he wrote to Gould that might be revealing. I got them from microfilm in Ted's library at the park and could send them to you.

      There might be some 128th stuff at Duke in Gould's papers. Ask Nick about that.

      Cheers,
      Stephen Recker

      Sent from my iPhone

    • pa128th
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 14, 2013

        FYI

        You are invited to help
        Celebrate Historical La Mott and Honor the United States Colored Troops 150th Anniversary and the founding of Camp William Penn*

        10:00 AM – 4:00 PM in Historical La Mott
        Parade
        Lectures
        Films
        Music
        Guided and self-guided walking tours
        Exhibits
        Encampment
        Regimental USCT Re-enactors
        Impersonators of Civil War Figures

        Rain or Shine
        Events will take place inside and outside

        Visit www.usct.org for information as the program is developed
        Phone: 215 885-2258

        Presented by: Citizens for the Restoration of Historical La Mott and The Camp William Penn Museum with support of The 3rd Regiment USCT Re-enactors and The 6th Regiment USCT Re-enactors

        *Camp William Penn, which was located in what is now modern day La Mott, was the first and largest Federal training site for colored soldiers during the Civil War.

        Note: Volunteers needed for help in all aspects of this event; some starting now and some the day of the event. Ideas and suggestions are also welcome. If you are able to help or participate, please contact:
        Citizens for the Restoration of Historical La Mott (CROHL)
        1618 Willow Avenue
        La Mott, PA 19027
        Phone: 215 885-2258
        Email: pt@...