RE: [TalkAntietam] Timeline for SO191 with reference to "Giants in the Cornfield"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2013
      Dear Bryn,

      Marion V. Armstrong Jr covers the discovery of SO191 pretty well in
      his book, "Unfurl Those Colors! -- McClellan, Sumner and the Second
      Army Corps in the Maryland Campaign." You might want to look at that
      source.

      Also, the late Dr Joseph Harsh covers SO191 from the CS side in his
      "Taken at the Flood", particularly as to when Lee might have become
      aware of its discovery by the Federals.

      https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers

      http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at
      one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which
      impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The
      circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct
      must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2013
        Ack, it appears to all be speculation based upon a very inconsistent account Bloss gave in 1892 (see http://archive.org/stream/wartalksinkansa00kansgoog#page/n92/mode/2up ).

        It's so contradictory to other known facts that I guess the account can safely be rejected as extremely unreliable.

        Bryn

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" wrote:

        > Dear Bryn,
        >
        > Marion V. Armstrong Jr covers the discovery of SO191 pretty well in
        > his book, "Unfurl Those Colors! -- McClellan, Sumner and the Second
        > Army Corps in the Maryland Campaign." You might want to look at that
        > source.
        >
        > Also, the late Dr Joseph Harsh covers SO191 from the CS side in his
        > "Taken at the Flood", particularly as to when Lee might have become
        > aware of its discovery by the Federals.

        > https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
        >
        > http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/
        >

        > "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at
        > one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which
        > impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The
        > circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct
        > must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
          You may wish to also check "Civil War Times" magazine December 2012 pg. 8 which has statements on this issue from Mr. Sears and Mr. D'Aoust.
          Larry