Timeline for SO191 with reference to "Giants in the Cornfield"

  • littlegreenmen.geo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2013
      Dear all,

      I'm going some research into the timings of the discovery and transmission of SO191 to McClellan's HQ. Most data seems to agree (discovered after 12pm, received by McClellan between 2 and 3 pm), but there is one major contradictary datapoint - Jones' Giants in the Cornfield.

      I theorise from an online abstraction of his timeline that he fixed the delivery to McClellan at 12pm (based upon Sears' now overturned argument) and worked backwards. If that's true then it would fit the other datapoints and it's just "mis-locked".

      I don't have the work and was wondering if anyone could disclose his methodology?

      Yours,
      Bryn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2013
        Dear Bryn,

        Marion V. Armstrong Jr covers the discovery of SO191 pretty well in
        his book, "Unfurl Those Colors! -- McClellan, Sumner and the Second
        Army Corps in the Maryland Campaign." You might want to look at that
        source.

        Also, the late Dr Joseph Harsh covers SO191 from the CS side in his
        "Taken at the Flood", particularly as to when Lee might have become
        aware of its discovery by the Federals.

        https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers

        http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

        "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at
        one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which
        impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The
        circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct
        must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2013
          Ack, it appears to all be speculation based upon a very inconsistent account Bloss gave in 1892 (see http://archive.org/stream/wartalksinkansa00kansgoog#page/n92/mode/2up ).

          It's so contradictory to other known facts that I guess the account can safely be rejected as extremely unreliable.

          Bryn

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" wrote:

          > Dear Bryn,
          >
          > Marion V. Armstrong Jr covers the discovery of SO191 pretty well in
          > his book, "Unfurl Those Colors! -- McClellan, Sumner and the Second
          > Army Corps in the Maryland Campaign." You might want to look at that
          > source.
          >
          > Also, the late Dr Joseph Harsh covers SO191 from the CS side in his
          > "Taken at the Flood", particularly as to when Lee might have become
          > aware of its discovery by the Federals.

          > https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
          >
          > http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/
          >

          > "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at
          > one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which
          > impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The
          > circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct
          > must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

        • Larry Freiheit
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
            You may wish to also check "Civil War Times" magazine December 2012 pg. 8 which has statements on this issue from Mr. Sears and Mr. D'Aoust.
            Larry