Re: [TalkAntietam] Questions re Second Corps AoP and Irish Brigade

  • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hi Gerry, glad to be of some help.

      I had done quite a bit of research for the Return To Manassas event a
      couple years ago, and had that info right at hand.

      As for the other questions, there are several on this forum whose knowledge
      is greater than my own, and I thought they might be able to give better
      answers than I could. So I defer to them.

      as always
      Mike Lavis

      In a message dated 12/29/2012 3:52:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      gerry1952@... writes:

      Mike;

      Thanks for that answer! How about the other questions?

      _https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers_
      (https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers)

      _http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/_ (http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/)

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at
      one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which
      impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The
      circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct
      must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
        Mike;

        As always thanks much for the information you did provide! At least
        that is a start point!

        My novel None But Heroes is selling decently and I have set up a blog
        about the novel as well. Info is below.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
          You could check Kreiser's "Defeating Lee: A History of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac," published last year by Indiana University Press. Amazon has Look Inside for it--maybe that will help. It is about $6 plus shipping. Maryland Campaign questions likely answered by Hartwig's new book or by Clemens's Carman.

          Here is the cite for Mr. Armstrong's book which could help you if you wish to buy it:
          "Unfurl Those Colors: McClellan,
          Sumner, and the Second Army Corps in the Antietam Campaign" by Marion
          V. Armstrong Jr. Amazon does not have Look Inside for this one. Cheapest on Amazon c. $40.

          Good luck with your research.

          Larry

          ________________________________
[...]

          5. Where did the 2nd Corps generally bivouac in the hours leading up to the battle on September 17th?

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
            As I recall, 2nd Corps marched to Centerville on Aug 31, without their
            artillery.

            Dave Powell

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
              Larry;

              Thanks. Dave McGowan offered to send me his copy of Armstrong's book
              and I think I shall take him up on hit. BTW I ordered the history of
              the 2nd Corps via Kindle so I should have it soon!

              Thanks for the tips!

              PS: I hope you have bought the None But Heroes novel to read!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                No--unfortunately I don't have Kindle. My book is only available hard copy but I would be happy to sign one and send it to you at a good price.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                  Larry;

                  I was talking about MY novel not your book. LOL!

                  BTW you can download a free reader app from Amazon Kindle and then purchase the novel. The app will allow you to read the novel on your computer or laptop or smartphone or tablet.