Re: [TalkAntietam] Questions re Second Corps AoP and Irish Brigade

  • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hi Gerry:

      In answer to your #1 question, the 2nd Corps was the last to reach the
      Washington area, arriving in Arlington on August 28th. (From the Peninsula
      campaign) They were designated by Mac to guard the approaches to the city,
      and on the 30th they began the move to Centerville, arriving there on the
      31st. They then participated in the retreat back to Washington.

      That was pretty much the extent of their involvement in the 2nd Bull Run
      campaign.

      Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas.
      Mike Lavis

      In a message dated 12/29/2012 3:00:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      gerry1952@... writes:

      Gang,

      After the New Year I plan to start a companion novel to my first novel
      None But Heroes. This second novel will examine the same Maryland Campaign but
      through the eyes of a veteran of the Irish Brigade, part of Richardson's
      division of the 2nd Corps, Army of the Potomac.

      I have some questions I need some assistance with answering:

      1. Did the 2nd Corps under Sumner take any active part at all in the 2nd
      Bull Run campaign? If it did, what role did it play and to what extent?

      2. IIRC the 2nd Corps helped anchor the left flank of the advance of the
      AoP from Washington City, thereby securing the Potomac River part of
      Maryland from any feared Confederate invasion of Washington City. (This was a big
      bugbear for General in Chief Halleck as well as Secretary of War Stanton.)

      3. When did the 2nd Corps concentrate near Frederick and what was sits
      order of march when the 9th Corps made its advance towards Turner's and Fox's
      Gaps on South Mountain and the subsequent fighting there?

      4. Where was the 2nd Corps and Richardson's division in the line of march
      during the pursuit of Longstreet and Hill following the CS withdrawal from
      Turner's and Fox's Gaps on the morning of September 15th?

      5. Where did the 2nd Corps generally bivouac in the hours leading up to
      the battle on September 17th?

      I already know that Mac held Richardson's division back as a sort of
      general reserve pending the arrival of Morrell (IIRC) with his division; this
      was the primary reason why (again IIRC) it did not support Sedgwick's advance
      into the West Woods sector of the fighting.

      Does Vince Armstrong's book "Advance the Colors" answer these questions?

      Thanks for your help!

      https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
      http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one
      period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels
      them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which
      govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order
      of things." -- Robert E. Lee

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
          Hi Gerry, glad to be of some help.

          I had done quite a bit of research for the Return To Manassas event a
          couple years ago, and had that info right at hand.

          As for the other questions, there are several on this forum whose knowledge
          is greater than my own, and I thought they might be able to give better
          answers than I could. So I defer to them.

          as always
          Mike Lavis

          _http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/_ (http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/)

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
            Mike;

            As always thanks much for the information you did provide! At least
            that is a start point!

            My novel None But Heroes is selling decently and I have set up a blog
            about the novel as well. Info is below.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
              You could check Kreiser's "Defeating Lee: A History of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac," published last year by Indiana University Press. Amazon has Look Inside for it--maybe that will help. It is about $6 plus shipping. Maryland Campaign questions likely answered by Hartwig's new book or by Clemens's Carman.

              Here is the cite for Mr. Armstrong's book which could help you if you wish to buy it:
              "Unfurl Those Colors: McClellan,
              Sumner, and the Second Army Corps in the Antietam Campaign" by Marion
              V. Armstrong Jr. Amazon does not have Look Inside for this one. Cheapest on Amazon c. $40.

              Good luck with your research.

              Larry

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
                As I recall, 2nd Corps marched to Centerville on Aug 31, without their
                artillery.

                Dave Powell

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Larry;

                  Thanks. Dave McGowan offered to send me his copy of Armstrong's book
                  and I think I shall take him up on hit. BTW I ordered the history of
                  the 2nd Corps via Kindle so I should have it soon!

                  Thanks for the tips!

                  PS: I hope you have bought the None But Heroes novel to read!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                    No--unfortunately I don't have Kindle. My book is only available hard copy but I would be happy to sign one and send it to you at a good price.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                      Larry;

                      I was talking about MY novel not your book. LOL!

                      BTW you can download a free reader app from Amazon Kindle and then purchase the novel. The app will allow you to read the novel on your computer or laptop or smartphone or tablet.