Questions re Second Corps AoP and Irish Brigade

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
      Gang,

      After the New Year I plan to start a companion novel to my first novel None But Heroes. This second novel will examine the same Maryland Campaign but through the eyes of a veteran of the Irish Brigade, part of Richardson's division of the 2nd Corps, Army of the Potomac.

      I have some questions I need some assistance with answering:

      1. Did the 2nd Corps under Sumner take any active part at all in the 2nd Bull Run campaign? If it did, what role did it play and to what extent?

      2. IIRC the 2nd Corps helped anchor the left flank of the advance of the AoP from Washington City, thereby securing the Potomac River part of Maryland from any feared Confederate invasion of Washington City. (This was a big bugbear for General in Chief Halleck as well as Secretary of War Stanton.)

      3. When did the 2nd Corps concentrate near Frederick and what was sits order of march when the 9th Corps made its advance towards Turner's and Fox's Gaps on South Mountain and the subsequent fighting there?

      4. Where was the 2nd Corps and Richardson's division in the line of march during the pursuit of Longstreet and Hill following the CS withdrawal from Turner's and Fox's Gaps on the morning of September 15th?

      5. Where did the 2nd Corps generally bivouac in the hours leading up to the battle on September 17th?

      I already know that Mac held Richardson's division back as a sort of general reserve pending the arrival of Morrell (IIRC) with his division; this was the primary reason why (again IIRC) it did not support Sedgwick's advance into the West Woods sector of the fighting.

      Does Vince Armstrong's book "Advance the Colors" answer these questions?

      Thanks for your help!

      https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
      http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee
    • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
        Hi Gerry:

        In answer to your #1 question, the 2nd Corps was the last to reach the
        Washington area, arriving in Arlington on August 28th. (From the Peninsula
        campaign) They were designated by Mac to guard the approaches to the city,
        and on the 30th they began the move to Centerville, arriving there on the
        31st. They then participated in the retreat back to Washington.

        That was pretty much the extent of their involvement in the 2nd Bull Run
        campaign.

        Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas.
        Mike Lavis

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
            Hi Gerry, glad to be of some help.

            I had done quite a bit of research for the Return To Manassas event a
            couple years ago, and had that info right at hand.

            As for the other questions, there are several on this forum whose knowledge
            is greater than my own, and I thought they might be able to give better
            answers than I could. So I defer to them.

            as always
            Mike Lavis

            _http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/_ (http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/)

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
              Mike;

              As always thanks much for the information you did provide! At least
              that is a start point!

              My novel None But Heroes is selling decently and I have set up a blog
              about the novel as well. Info is below.

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
                You could check Kreiser's "Defeating Lee: A History of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac," published last year by Indiana University Press. Amazon has Look Inside for it--maybe that will help. It is about $6 plus shipping. Maryland Campaign questions likely answered by Hartwig's new book or by Clemens's Carman.

                Here is the cite for Mr. Armstrong's book which could help you if you wish to buy it:
                "Unfurl Those Colors: McClellan,
                Sumner, and the Second Army Corps in the Antietam Campaign" by Marion
                V. Armstrong Jr. Amazon does not have Look Inside for this one. Cheapest on Amazon c. $40.

                Good luck with your research.

                Larry

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2012
                  As I recall, 2nd Corps marched to Centerville on Aug 31, without their
                  artillery.

                  Dave Powell

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
                    Larry;

                    Thanks. Dave McGowan offered to send me his copy of Armstrong's book
                    and I think I shall take him up on hit. BTW I ordered the history of
                    the 2nd Corps via Kindle so I should have it soon!

                    Thanks for the tips!

                    PS: I hope you have bought the None But Heroes novel to read!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                      No--unfortunately I don't have Kindle. My book is only available hard copy but I would be happy to sign one and send it to you at a good price.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                        Larry;

                        I was talking about MY novel not your book. LOL!

                        BTW you can download a free reader app from Amazon Kindle and then purchase the novel. The app will allow you to read the novel on your computer or laptop or smartphone or tablet.