Re: [TalkAntietam] cycling tour books

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      Keith,

      Perhaps it was Kurt Detwiler, who authored numerous cycling books including "Bicycling Through Civil War History: In Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Virginia".

      If so, be advised that he passed away in Sept 2012.

      A link to his obit is below (includes photo in case you can identify him as person you were seeking)...
      http://times-news.com/obituaries/x1831852773/KURT-B-DETWILER-Frostburg

      Tom Shay - avid cycl er in Cressona, PA

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
        Lord. Tom! I have that very book you mentioned! Dang!

        In 2000,i was touring in that area on my bicycle and met a local guy,also on a bicycle,at the Antietam VC.He rode with me back to Harpers Ferry and put air in my tires,for me.He also introduced me to the towpath and I had a great 60 mile ride on it the next day.I know he has published a few cycling tour books,one about Civil War sites.Can anyone help put me in touch with this guy?I cant remember his name,but perhaps it rings a bell with someone?
        thank you,
        Keith in Florida

      • Gesso4u2
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
          OMG<I am sure that that is him.How tragic.I knew he was younger than me.The day I speak of,he was waiting on his bike next to mine when I came out of the visitor center.He noticed the touring paniers on my bike and was curious,and introduced himself.Oh thats just awful,that I finally have a chance to reconnect with him and he is gone.I had told him I had ridden into the valley over Thornton gap a few days earlier,and wasnt looking forward to another long day back over the Blue ridge,when he suggested the tow-path.We discussed the route of A.P.Hills march,which I was still frustrated from an argument with a park ranger over,and he took me to the Sharpsburg PO so I could send home a souvenier.After which we rode together back to Harpers Ferry where he put air in my tires,and gave me a Tow-path cap which I rode,wearing the rest of the trip.I have never forgotten his hospitality.