To Antietam Creek - Scott Hartwig

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
      Hi,

      I received my copy on Friday, and right now am a little overwhelmed. I’m not sure if any campaign of the Civil War has received this kind of treatment. Really something. First thing I checked was SO 191, and really nice to see everything make sense for once, though I think he soft-pedals the time-line a bit regarding when it was found and when it got to army HQ – definitely times the Trophies telegram at 12 midnight of the 13th/14th.

      655 pages of text, 794 total. But VERY READABLE!!! Bibliography is on-line at www.mdhs.org/publications/resources.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
        Harry,

        We had some discussion of the 12M. time a few years back on here. Someone claimed to have seen the original letter Mac wrote to be sent via telegraph and that he wrote it at 12 noon not midnight....

        Gerry

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
          Oh, I’m sure someone said that. Of course, there is one thing in that telegram that indicates it could not have been written at 12 noon on the 13th, unless there was wishful thinking involved...

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
            Ok. Fess up... what is in the telegram that proves it could not have been written at 12 noon?

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
              What time did the Federal army get possession of Catoctin?

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 15, 2012
                You can read all about it in Maurice D’Aust’s recent CWT article.