RE: [TalkAntietam] Henry B. Schroeder

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
      Jim;

      An interesting story. Odd that someone of such strong Southern sensibilities would resign but would not then join the ranks of the Confederate service! I wonder how many officers there might have been like him who resigned their US Army commissions but remained entirely neutral?

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
        When I discovered him in Cullem's Register, I found he lived less than 15 miles from Sharpsburg yet there was no apparent action on his part.  I hope to learn more about him and will share anything that I learn.
        Warm Regards
        Jim

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
          There were, I suspect, a number. One I can think of include Henry Scott,
          author of the 1860 Military Dictionary and son-in-law of Winfield
          (Cullum 747). Henry served in effect as Winfield Scott's chief of Staff
          from 1842 to 1861. He retired in October 1861 and was on leave of
          absence -- in Europe -- from October 1861 to October 31, 1862 -- which
          date he resigned his commission and gave up his pension. I wonder what
          his father-in-law thought about that?

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
          Huddleston.r@...

          "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are
          insane." ---Mark Twain