Henry B. Schroeder

  • Jim Rosebrock
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
      Henry B. Schroeder from Petersville Maryland in Frederick
      County was a graduate of the West Point Class of 1844.  He ranked 22 of 25 in the West Point
      class of 1844.  Classmates included
      Winfield Scott Hancock and Alfred Pleasonton.  An officer of the 3rd Infantry, he fought in
      Mexico and was brevetted First Lieutenant., on August 20, 1847, for
      Gallant and Meritorious Conduct  in
      the Battles of Contreras and Churubusco.  Schroeder was a Captain in the 3rd Infantry when he resigned
      from the Army on May 31, 1861 apparently for his southern sympathies.  He did not join the Confederate Army
      instead returning to Peterville Maryland where he operated  a farm.  The Brunswick Herald which reported his obituary said that he lived there the remainder of his life
      passing away on December 21 1904 at the age of 83.  Do any  of you
      know if Schroeder played any role one way or the other during the Maryland
      Campaign.  Surely an officer of
      that seniority must have been known known by fellow West Pointers serving on
      both sides.

      Thanks
      Jim Rosebrock

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
        Jim;

        An interesting story. Odd that someone of such strong Southern sensibilities would resign but would not then join the ranks of the Confederate service! I wonder how many officers there might have been like him who resigned their US Army commissions but remained entirely neutral?

        "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
          When I discovered him in Cullem's Register, I found he lived less than 15 miles from Sharpsburg yet there was no apparent action on his part.  I hope to learn more about him and will share anything that I learn.
          Warm Regards
          Jim

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2012
            There were, I suspect, a number. One I can think of include Henry Scott,
            author of the 1860 Military Dictionary and son-in-law of Winfield
            (Cullum 747). Henry served in effect as Winfield Scott's chief of Staff
            from 1842 to 1861. He retired in October 1861 and was on leave of
            absence -- in Europe -- from October 1861 to October 31, 1862 -- which
            date he resigned his commission and gave up his pension. I wonder what
            his father-in-law thought about that?

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            Huddleston.r@...

            "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are
            insane." ---Mark Twain