Re: [TalkAntietam] Digest Number 163

  • James Mattes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2002
      Paula,
      This is prob too late to help you but I am just
      catching up on my e-mail this am. From Sharps and
      Dunnigan "The COngressional Medal of Horor" comes the
      following:
      (Pg 750) First Edition Oct 1984
      Cook, John
      Rank and organization: Bugler, Battery B, 4th US
      Artillery. place and date: At Antietam Md., 17
      September 1862. Entered service at: Cincinnati, Ohio.
      Birth: Hamilton County, Ohio. Date of issue: 30 June
      1894. Citation: Volunteered at the age of 15 years to
      act as a cannoneer, and as such volunteer served a gun
      under a terrific fire of the enemy.

      Hope that helps
      VR
      James Mattes

      Message: 15
      Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:05:51 EDT
      From: Pa128th@...
      Subject: Re: Drummer at Antietam

      In a message dated 4/24/02 10:25:16 AM Eastern
      Daylight Time,
      darkpharoh@... writes:
      > You may want to mention Johnny Cook, who I believe
      won
      > the medal of honor for his actions at Antietam in
      the
      > area of the Miller Cornfield. He fired into the
      Conf.
      > ranks with a Union battery after all the gunners had
      > been knocked down. I believe he was 14 yrs. old.

      If this info can be confirmed, I would love to add it
      to my
      presentation.
      Thanks,
      Paula

      Message: 16
      Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:10:29 -0400
      From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
      Subject: RE: John Cook
      Paula,
      There's a photo of bugler John Cook Battery B, 4th
      U.S. Artillery
      on page 63 of Mike Priest's book "Antietam: The
      Soldiers' Battle."
      Regards,
      Teej

      Try this website.
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/artily_2.htm Scroll
      down to the section that says "At Antietam, Did You
      Know?" Hope this
      helps. Good luck with your presentation.

      Best Regards,
      Teej

      http://games.yahoo.com/