Re: Small house overlooking the Potomac

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2012
      Adam,

      I don't think that is the original house. There was an early house there at
      one time but during the battle there was a Confederate artillery battery
      where the house was. They were firing Mullane shells at the opposing
      federal artillery placed on the long hill known as Ferry Hill. The Federal
      artillery was firing back and several shells fell into the river and
      slammed into that hillside just below the (Oakley ? spelling may be
      incorrect) house. There was also a Confederate battery located to the west
      of River Road on the bluffs where Bill Lukens lives today. All of these
      positions were firing on Pleasanton's Batteries. From what I have found it
      appears they unlimbered quite a ways back from the river on the Maryland
      side and worked their way forward. This kept them from being shelled by the
      Confederate long range artillery on the Va. side. It is important to note
      that the Federal artillery did load up some dropped Confederate artillery
      shells and fired them into the bluffs.

      The types of shells found in this area are predominately fired from the 3"
      Ordnance Rifle with some fired from the Howitzers These shells include the
      following:

      2.9" Dyer Shells (both case and shell/ and both rounded and pointed nose
      variations)
      2.9" Hotchkiss Shells (both case and shell)
      2.9" Schenkl Shells (shells only)
      2.9" CS Archer Shells with wood fuses
      12lb Spherical Solid Shot
      12lb Spherical Case and Shell