Small house overlooking the Potomac

  • gtmcftsotcwgrad
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2012
      Hello, all.

      This may be a smidge off-topic, but here goes:

      On the West Virginia side of the Potomac, just as you come around the bend at the bottom of the hill on River Road (when traveling towards Pack Horse Ford from Shepherdstown), there's a gravel road called Teague Run Road and it goeas nearly straight up the bluffs. At the top of the bluffs in a small clearing, there is a little wooden house. According to friends who rented on that property the house dates back to pre-Revolutionary days, and was supposedly damaged by federal artillery during the battle of Shepherdstown. I was only able to see the interior of the house once, but there was a cannon ball sitting on the mantel that looked decidedly like round shot to me, and supposedly that had been picked up near the front door, having passed through the house.

      Does anyone know any more information about this house? For anyone familiar with the property, when you get to the top of Teauge Run Rd., there is a pair of stone pillars and a trailer home, with the house in question off to your left, immediately overlooking the river.

      Thanks, all!

      - Adam Zimmerli
    • Ian Workman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2012
        Adam,

        I don't think that is the original house. There was an early house there at
        one time but during the battle there was a Confederate artillery battery
        where the house was. They were firing Mullane shells at the opposing
        federal artillery placed on the long hill known as Ferry Hill. The Federal
        artillery was firing back and several shells fell into the river and
        slammed into that hillside just below the (Oakley ? spelling may be
        incorrect) house. There was also a Confederate battery located to the west
        of River Road on the bluffs where Bill Lukens lives today. All of these
        positions were firing on Pleasanton's Batteries. From what I have found it
        appears they unlimbered quite a ways back from the river on the Maryland
        side and worked their way forward. This kept them from being shelled by the
        Confederate long range artillery on the Va. side. It is important to note
        that the Federal artillery did load up some dropped Confederate artillery
        shells and fired them into the bluffs.

        The types of shells found in this area are predominately fired from the 3"
        Ordnance Rifle with some fired from the Howitzers These shells include the
        following:

        2.9" Dyer Shells (both case and shell/ and both rounded and pointed nose
        variations)
        2.9" Hotchkiss Shells (both case and shell)
        2.9" Schenkl Shells (shells only)
        2.9" CS Archer Shells with wood fuses
        12lb Spherical Solid Shot
        12lb Spherical Case and Shell