Re: [TalkAntietam] How AP Hill knew of Miller's Sawmill Road?

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012

      I was just discussing this today with Stephen. The Confederate troops had
      quite a few locals with them from the Virginia regiments. I would assume
      people like Henry Kyd Douglas would have mentioned the ford and road to
      Jackson. They didn't cross at the Antietam ford due to it possibly being
      guarded. The main force crossed at Blackford's Ford but there evidence of
      some of the Confederates crossing at the Miller's Sawmill Ford which is
      just upstream from the road. At one time there was a lot of stuff found
      along the banks (Virginia side) along that particular route. It would make
      sense that they would cross there due to Blackford's Ford being
      approximately 1 mile upstream and 1 mile back downstream. If you think
      about it, this would take a considerable amount of time to travel to the
      main ford.

      After the battle there were Confederate units watching the Miller's Sawmill
      ford as well as the Antietam Ford. The Antietam ford is just downstream
      from the mouth of the Antietam and runs at an angle following the current
      towards the bottom of Knott's Island. There were some artillery shells
      fired at the Confederate Cavalry overlooking the Antietam ford. As of yet I
      haven't found where that spot was.

      Ian

      On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Are there are accounts regarding how AP Hill became aware of Miller�s
      > Sawmill Road being the most advantageous route from the ford?
      > He certainly didn�t send his men on that route without prior knowledge as
      > to where it led.
      >
      > Tom Shay

    • Larry Freiheit
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2012
        Ian

        Maybe this fall we could bike to both the caves and the fords downstream? Maybe start at the parking lot at the Shepherdstown bridge on the Maryland side and first do the fords.

        Larry

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2012
          Larry,

          If you both do that, you will probably need your waders to cross from Maryland to Virginia (West Virginia).

          The novel is doing fairly well for initial sales... and is out on Kindle, iTunes and Nook....

          Gerry

          Maybe this fall we could bike to both the caves and the fords downstream? Maybe start at the parking lot at the Shepherdstown bridge on the Maryland side and first do the fords.

          Larry

          ________________________________
          I was just discussing this today with Stephen. The Confederate troops had
          quite a few locals with them from the Virginia regiments. I would assume
          people like Henry Kyd Douglas would have mentioned the ford and road to
          Jackson. They didn't cross at the Antietam ford due to it possibly being
          guarded. The main force crossed at Blackford's Ford but there evidence of
          some of the Confederates crossing at the Miller's Sawmill Ford which is
          just upstream from the road. At one time there was a lot of stuff found
          along the banks (Virginia side) along that particular route. It would make
          sense that they would cross there due to Blackford's Ford being
          approximately 1 mile upstream and 1 mile back downstream. If you think
          about it, this would take a considerable amount of time to travel to the
          main ford.

          After the battle there were Confederate units watching the Miller's Sawmill
          ford as well as the Antietam Ford. The Antietam ford is just downstream
          from the mouth of the Antietam and runs at an angle following the current
          towards the bottom of Knott's Island. There were some artillery shells
          fired at the Confederate Cavalry overlooking the Antietam ford. As of yet I
          haven't found where that spot was.

          Ian

          On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Are there are accounts regarding how AP Hill became aware of Miller’s
          > Sawmill Road being the most advantageous route from the ford?
          > He certainly didn’t send his men on that route without prior knowledge as
          > to where it led.
          >
          > Tom Shay

        • Ian Workman
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2012
            Larry,

            I'd but up for that. Just let me know when.

            Ian

          • Larry Freiheit
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
              Thanks Ian