How AP Hill knew of Miller's Sawmill Road?

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23 11:26 AM
      Are there are accounts regarding how AP Hill became aware of Miller’s Sawmill Road being the most advantageous route from the ford?
      He certainly didn’t send his men on that route without prior knowledge as to where it led.

    • Ian Workman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27 8:32 PM

        I was just discussing this today with Stephen. The Confederate troops had
        quite a few locals with them from the Virginia regiments. I would assume
        people like Henry Kyd Douglas would have mentioned the ford and road to
        Jackson. They didn't cross at the Antietam ford due to it possibly being
        guarded. The main force crossed at Blackford's Ford but there evidence of
        some of the Confederates crossing at the Miller's Sawmill Ford which is
        just upstream from the road. At one time there was a lot of stuff found
        along the banks (Virginia side) along that particular route. It would make
        sense that they would cross there due to Blackford's Ford being
        approximately 1 mile upstream and 1 mile back downstream. If you think
        about it, this would take a considerable amount of time to travel to the
        main ford.

        After the battle there were Confederate units watching the Miller's Sawmill
        ford as well as the Antietam Ford. The Antietam ford is just downstream
        from the mouth of the Antietam and runs at an angle following the current
        towards the bottom of Knott's Island. There were some artillery shells
        fired at the Confederate Cavalry overlooking the Antietam ford. As of yet I
        haven't found where that spot was.

        Ian

        On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Are there are accounts regarding how AP Hill became aware of Miller�s
        > Sawmill Road being the most advantageous route from the ford?
        > He certainly didn�t send his men on that route without prior knowledge as
        > to where it led.
        >
        > Tom Shay

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29 4:13 PM
          Ian

          Maybe this fall we could bike to both the caves and the fords downstream? Maybe start at the parking lot at the Shepherdstown bridge on the Maryland side and first do the fords.

          Larry

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29 4:18 PM
            Larry,

            If you both do that, you will probably need your waders to cross from Maryland to Virginia (West Virginia).

            The novel is doing fairly well for initial sales... and is out on Kindle, iTunes and Nook....

            Gerry

            Maybe this fall we could bike to both the caves and the fords downstream? Maybe start at the parking lot at the Shepherdstown bridge on the Maryland side and first do the fords.

            Larry

            ________________________________
            I was just discussing this today with Stephen. The Confederate troops had
            quite a few locals with them from the Virginia regiments. I would assume
            people like Henry Kyd Douglas would have mentioned the ford and road to
            Jackson. They didn't cross at the Antietam ford due to it possibly being
            guarded. The main force crossed at Blackford's Ford but there evidence of
            some of the Confederates crossing at the Miller's Sawmill Ford which is
            just upstream from the road. At one time there was a lot of stuff found
            along the banks (Virginia side) along that particular route. It would make
            sense that they would cross there due to Blackford's Ford being
            approximately 1 mile upstream and 1 mile back downstream. If you think
            about it, this would take a considerable amount of time to travel to the
            main ford.

            After the battle there were Confederate units watching the Miller's Sawmill
            ford as well as the Antietam Ford. The Antietam ford is just downstream
            from the mouth of the Antietam and runs at an angle following the current
            towards the bottom of Knott's Island. There were some artillery shells
            fired at the Confederate Cavalry overlooking the Antietam ford. As of yet I
            haven't found where that spot was.

            Ian

            On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Are there are accounts regarding how AP Hill became aware of Miller’s
            > Sawmill Road being the most advantageous route from the ford?
            > He certainly didn’t send his men on that route without prior knowledge as
            > to where it led.
            >
            > Tom Shay

          • Ian Workman
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29 8:57 PM
              Larry,

              I'd but up for that. Just let me know when.

              Ian

            • Larry Freiheit
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30 2:04 PM
                Thanks Ian