Re: [TalkAntietam] Bridge over Little Antietam Creek

  • Larry Freiheit
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
      CC maps seem to show a bridge as does 1893 Antietam Board map and the Official Atlas. Haven't found a map yet that shows "ford" at that location but rather indications that it is a bridge.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
        Guys,

        I have a post on my blog, South From the North Woods regarding this bridge here.  It says "Located not far from the Hitt Bridge is the Pry’s Mill Bridge. George
        Burgan built this two-arch bridge for $1,650 in 1858. Its cutwaters, the upstream pier bulwarks designed to divide the current and break up ice
        flows and log jams, are unique in that they are shaped like the prows of ships. Both grist and sawmills operated at nearby Samuel Pry’s Mill.
        The wings and parapet of the bridge were rebuilt in the twentieth
        century. Like the nearby Hitt Bridge, Hooker’s Corps also used this
        bridge to cross the Little Antietam on its way to the battlefield."

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
          IIRC there is a place not far from the bridge that can be forded. Tom Clemens led a group of us there back in 2001 in the old ADG...

          CC maps seem to show a bridge as does 1893 Antietam Board map and the Official Atlas. Haven't found a map yet that shows "ford" at that location but rather indications that it is a bridge.

          ________________________________
          Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

          I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

        • RoteBaron
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
            Jim,

            Many thanks! That’s probably the best response in favor of the bridge being there in 1862. Excellent.

            Tom Shay

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 22, 2012
              Your welcome Tom.
              Jim

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27, 2012
                That bridge was definitely there during the war. There is a smaller ford
                upstream a few hundred yards but the main ford near that bridge would have
                been at the Pry Mill. The ford is located just downstream from where the
                smaller feeder creek empties into the Antietam Creek.

                Ian