Re: [TalkAntietam] Bridge over Little Antietam Creek

  • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
      Hi Tom:

      Funny you should ask, I was driving over that road during the Maryland My
      Maryland event a couple weeks ago,and was wondering the exact same thing. It
      is certainly too narrow to have been built for two lane traffic, and it
      looks jut like the other ones.
      But I do not recall reading any reports of fording the Little Antietam.
      One of the Union Corps, I think it was the 6th, but maybe the 2nd, split
      up and some went over the middle bridge and some waded the creek. But no
      mention of the Little Antietam.

      BTW I have not forgotten, I will send you the transcripts of the 49th
      letters when I get to them. The event had me more than a little busy for several
      weeks, and I am catching up on other things.

      Mike Lavis

      In a message dated 9/21/2012 12:20:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      RoteBaron@... writes:

      Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on
      Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

      I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

    • Larry Freiheit
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
        CC maps seem to show a bridge as does 1893 Antietam Board map and the Official Atlas. Haven't found a map yet that shows "ford" at that location but rather indications that it is a bridge.

        ________________________________
        Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

        I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

      • Jim Rosebrock
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
          Guys,

          I have a post on my blog, South From the North Woods regarding this bridge here.  It says "Located not far from the Hitt Bridge is the Pry’s Mill Bridge. George
          Burgan built this two-arch bridge for $1,650 in 1858. Its cutwaters, the upstream pier bulwarks designed to divide the current and break up ice
          flows and log jams, are unique in that they are shaped like the prows of ships. Both grist and sawmills operated at nearby Samuel Pry’s Mill.
          The wings and parapet of the bridge were rebuilt in the twentieth
          century. Like the nearby Hitt Bridge, Hooker’s Corps also used this
          bridge to cross the Little Antietam on its way to the battlefield."

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
            IIRC there is a place not far from the bridge that can be forded. Tom Clemens led a group of us there back in 2001 in the old ADG...

            CC maps seem to show a bridge as does 1893 Antietam Board map and the Official Atlas. Haven't found a map yet that shows "ford" at that location but rather indications that it is a bridge.

            ________________________________
            Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

            I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

          • RoteBaron
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
              Jim,

              Many thanks! That’s probably the best response in favor of the bridge being there in 1862. Excellent.

              Tom Shay

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 22, 2012
                Your welcome Tom.
                Jim

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 27, 2012
                  That bridge was definitely there during the war. There is a smaller ford
                  upstream a few hundred yards but the main ford near that bridge would have
                  been at the Pry Mill. The ford is located just downstream from where the
                  smaller feeder creek empties into the Antietam Creek.

                  Ian