Bridge over Little Antietam Creek

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
      Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

      I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

    • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
        Hi Tom:

        Funny you should ask, I was driving over that road during the Maryland My
        Maryland event a couple weeks ago,and was wondering the exact same thing. It
        is certainly too narrow to have been built for two lane traffic, and it
        looks jut like the other ones.
        But I do not recall reading any reports of fording the Little Antietam.
        One of the Union Corps, I think it was the 6th, but maybe the 2nd, split
        up and some went over the middle bridge and some waded the creek. But no
        mention of the Little Antietam.

        BTW I have not forgotten, I will send you the transcripts of the 49th
        letters when I get to them. The event had me more than a little busy for several
        weeks, and I am catching up on other things.

        Mike Lavis

        In a message dated 9/21/2012 12:20:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        RoteBaron@... writes:

        Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on
        Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

        I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
          CC maps seem to show a bridge as does 1893 Antietam Board map and the Official Atlas. Haven't found a map yet that shows "ford" at that location but rather indications that it is a bridge.

          ________________________________
          Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

          I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

        • Jim Rosebrock
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
            Guys,

            I have a post on my blog, South From the North Woods regarding this bridge here.  It says "Located not far from the Hitt Bridge is the Pry’s Mill Bridge. George
            Burgan built this two-arch bridge for $1,650 in 1858. Its cutwaters, the upstream pier bulwarks designed to divide the current and break up ice
            flows and log jams, are unique in that they are shaped like the prows of ships. Both grist and sawmills operated at nearby Samuel Pry’s Mill.
            The wings and parapet of the bridge were rebuilt in the twentieth
            century. Like the nearby Hitt Bridge, Hooker’s Corps also used this
            bridge to cross the Little Antietam on its way to the battlefield."

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
              IIRC there is a place not far from the bridge that can be forded. Tom Clemens led a group of us there back in 2001 in the old ADG...

              CC maps seem to show a bridge as does 1893 Antietam Board map and the Official Atlas. Haven't found a map yet that shows "ford" at that location but rather indications that it is a bridge.

              ________________________________
              Does anyone know if the small arched bridge over Little Antietam Creek (on Keedyville Roa d that leads to Upper Bridge) existed during the battle?

              I asked several people at the park last weekend and got various answers.

            • RoteBaron
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 21, 2012
                Jim,

                Many thanks! That’s probably the best response in favor of the bridge being there in 1862. Excellent.

                Tom Shay

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 22, 2012
                  Your welcome Tom.
                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 27, 2012
                    That bridge was definitely there during the war. There is a smaller ford
                    upstream a few hundred yards but the main ford near that bridge would have
                    been at the Pry Mill. The ford is located just downstream from where the
                    smaller feeder creek empties into the Antietam Creek.

                    Ian