RE: [TalkAntietam] 150 years ago today

  • gwalden@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
      Respect to the memory of all the casualties, North and South, and
      especially today to the memory of Private George Washington Pence, Co. H
      3rd Arkansas Infantry, who was wounded and captured during the attack of
      the 3rd Arkansas and 27th North Carolina against the right flank of
      French's Division in the fields east of the Mumma lane. My g-g-g-uncle,
      George Pence was a member of the Blackburn Guards from Kentucky.
      http://antietam.aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=438

      Respectfully,
      Greg Walden

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
        150 years ago, my 128th Pa guys got torn up in the East Woods and Cornfield. Thinking of their Colonel Samuel Croasdale, Pvt George Saxon and others who were killed that day and the many other casualties.

        Paula

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2012
          I would like to also remember Captain William Thomas Marsh, commanding the Fourth North Carolina at the Sunken Road. Mortally wounded in the head during the fight, he dies five to seven days later. He is buried in his hometown of Beaufort, NC.

          I have a transcription of perhaps the last letter he wrote, at the very start of the campaign, if anyone would be interested in reading.