Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Info on 150th Anniversary events

  • Matthew Reardon
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2012
      I'll be there with my reenactment group portraying the 51st PA down near Burnside Bridge. I hoping to also participate in an 8th CT walk. It was at Antietam where my family "formally entered" the war.

      Matt Reardon
      Descendant of Michael Farley (Co. G, 8th CT Vols.)

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 10, 2012, at 12:24 PM, "Lauren J. M. Kruse" <laurenjmkruse@...> wrote:

      > Hello, everyone!
      >
      > I am pretty new to the group and a "lurker," but a long-time Civil war buff.
      >
      > Is anyone going to visit the battlefield or the nearby reenactment this
      > weekend? I'm thrilled as my boyfriend & I are going. I've never been to
      > Sharpsburg before. We are also heading to Gettysburg for the WWII weekend
      > at Eisenhower Farm.
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Lauren

    • Lauren J. M. Kruse
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2012
        Hello, Tom!

        I hope you have a great time in Sharpsburg this weekend! There are so many
        things to see and do... There isn't enough time for it all! I am so excited
        and grateful that I will attend the 150th.

        Yes, Ed Bearss is wonderful! I was lucky enough to attend one of his talks
        when he paid a visit to our local Civil War Round Table.

        Enjoy & safe travels! :-)

        Lauren

        On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM, <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I'll be at Antietam two of the three days (Sat, Sun, Mon), just not sure
        > which ones yet!
        >
        > Weather will affect my choices.
        >
        > Definitely want to join up with Ed Bearss on his hikes.
        >
        > Heard rumor of 100,000 people gon na be there !
        >
        > Tom Shay

      • Lauren J. M. Kruse
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2012
          Hello, Matt!

          I think it's wonderful you will be part of the reenactment! It's also
          terrific you will be tracing your family's footsteps. Both are great ways
          to honor our forebears and all they endured. As excited as I am about the
          sesquicentennial and tracing my own family's involvement (they weren't at
          Antietam, though), I cannot forget the true solemnity of the occasion.

          I think there may be an illumination on Saturday evening, which I'd very
          much like to attend.

          I hope Michael Farley emerged from the War unscathed!

          Enjoy the weekend & safe travels! :-)

          Lauren

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2012
            Sorry if this was posted already - but FINALLY the CWT App for Antietam both Android and Apple is available.

            www.civilwar.org

            Paula