Re: [TalkAntietam] Old Simon

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2012
      Here is the only material I’ve ever found providing reference to the naming of Old Simon:

      Old Simon, the big "soldier" on the monument in the center, was given his name by an unknown lady of this town when he was being rolled in from the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, on heavy planks, and was erected about 1878.

      It got that text from:
      http://www23.us.archive.org/stream/battlefieldofant00mill/battlefieldofant00mill_djvu.txt

      Tom Shay

      Why do they call the Private Soldier Monument 'Old Simon'...?

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2012
        Thanks. It figures that it would be good old O.T. Reilly.