Re: [TalkAntietam] Strange Messages

  • Marc73@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2002
      In a message dated 04/25/2002 2:36:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rotbaron@... writes:

      Is everyone getting those frequent message from TalkAntietam?

      The recent one had header of  [TalkAntietam] Language and was from
      dunkerch@... (cnw400).
      This is David Lutton's email address.

      The email had an attachment which I know better than to open, as I suppose
      it's a  virus.

      Anyone suspect what is up?

      Tom Shay

      Yes Tom,

      I just deleted them since i had no clue what the download was about.

      Marc Riddell
      83rd PVI
      2nd USSS
      Potomac Legion
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2002
        It could be the Klez B variant virus.

        Viruses propagate from an infected person's computer....rule of
        thumb...never open any attachment that looks strange.

        I had to spend some time last evening cleaning up the Klez B
        virus from my system...and am not totally sure I got it all....

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > There is a new virus that is attacking people with Cable
        Modems.

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Stock for $4
        > and no minimums.
        > FREE Money 2002.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bud Wilkinson
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 26, 2002
          Gerry,

          It is the Klez B virus that's been traveling around......I am running
          the Norton 2002 Anti Virus software, and it has detected this
          virus at least 10-12 times in the past few days. Each time it
          appears to be attached to CWDG email messages.

          You are correct.......never open strange looking attachments!
          Another piece of advice........update anti virus software.

          Bud

          At 11:13 PM 4/25/02 -0400, Gerry wrote:
          >It could be the Klez B variant virus.
          >
          >Viruses propagate from an infected person's computer....rule of
          >thumb...never open any attachment that looks strange.
          >
          >I had to spend some time last evening cleaning up the Klez B
          >virus from my system...and am not totally sure I got it all....
        • antietam1862
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2002
            Hi Folks,

            Apparently a virus has hijacked "dunkerch@..." and has been
            zapping us here on TaslAntietam, so I have blocked that account
            temporarily. Will the owner please contact me via email directly
            _after_ disinfecting.

            I have blocked the ability for anyone to upload files to the group,
            also to help prevent further passing of viral content. Please let me
            know privately if this causes anyone any problems.

            Lastly, please never download a file from this or any group without
            the knowlwdge that it may be poisonous ...

            caveat emptor

            Brian
          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2002
              In a message dated 4/26/02 8:05:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, brdowney@...
              writes:
              > Apparently a virus has hijacked "dunkerch@..." and has been
              > zapping us here

              As I noted earlier, that email address is David Lutton, a devoted member of
              our group who obviously is embroiled in a nasty fight with a computer virus.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 26, 2002
                Bud,

                Please contact me privately with how to un-install an
                "uninstallable" NAV 2000 on Sunday. Thanks.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                Edward Lee

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                > Buy Stock for $4
                > and no minimums.
                > FREE Money 2002.
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Tommy Schmitz
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
                  Tom --

                  I have been getting these e-mails frequently over the past few days/week
                  with the TalkAntietam header, too. These was no "body" to the text, just an
                  ad to buy inexpensive stocks. I didn't make sense of them so I deleted
                  them. Afterwards, I saw the posts about a possible virus. Even today, I have
                  received some suspect e-mails, but have no idea what is going on.

                  And congratulations on your Ph.D.

                  -- Tommy Schmitz

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
                    Tommy;

                    You have confused Tom Shay with Tom Clemens, who received the
                    doctorate.

                    I have been receiving virus emails from TalkAntietam also but
                    with .pif and .bat attachments, which I delete immediately.

                    Your humble servant,
                    Gerry Mayers
                    Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                    Edward Lee

                    Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                    > Buy Stock for $4
                    > and no minimums.
                    > FREE Money 2002.
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Oliver Gamble
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
                      I have been getting these e-mails frequently over the past few days/week
                      with the TalkAntietam header, too. These was no "body" to the text, just an
                      ad to buy inexpensive stocks. I didn't make sense of them so I deleted
                      them. Afterwards, I saw the posts about a possible virus. Even today, I have
                      received some suspect e-mails, but have no idea what is going on.

                      And congratulations on your Ph.D.

                      -- Tommy Schmitz

                      If you read the ads, you now have an infected computer. The ads are the virus.

                    • Bud Wilkinson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                        I received 4 messages from Talk Antietam this morning containing
                        this same virus.......

                        Bud