Old Simon

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4 6:18 AM
      Why do they call the Private Soldier Monument 'Old Simon'...?
    • RoteBaron
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4 9:15 AM
        Here is the only material I’ve ever found providing reference to the naming of Old Simon:

        Old Simon, the big "soldier" on the monument in the center, was given his name by an unknown lady of this town when he was being rolled in from the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, on heavy planks, and was erected about 1878.

        It got that text from:
        http://www23.us.archive.org/stream/battlefieldofant00mill/battlefieldofant00mill_djvu.txt

        Tom Shay

        Why do they call the Private Soldier Monument 'Old Simon'...?

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4 10:19 AM
          Thanks. It figures that it would be good old O.T. Reilly.