Reading of killed or mortally wounded on Sept 17

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10 12:21 PM
      NPS Announcement:

      As part of the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam, a remembrance ceremony will take place at Antetiam National Cemetery on September 17th. This ceremony will feature a reading of the names of those soldiers killed or mortally wounded in the battle. The ceremony will begin at 3 p.m., and names will be read alphabetically by state, continuing throughout the afternoon.

      The public is encouraged to participate in the event by taking a turn reading names. We will read the names of those buried in Antietam National Cemetery, as well as in Washington Confederate Cemetery, Elmwood Cemetery, and Mt. Olivet Cemetery, but due to many circumstances some soldiers were buried in other locations.

      To provide a more comprehensive list we are asking for your input. If you know of a soldier that was killed or mortally wounded at Antietam and is buried somewhere other than the cemeteries listed above, please send an email to alann_schmidt@... detailing the soldier's name, state, and any documentation you have for this information, and we will add the name to our list. We appreciate your help as we honor and remember those who gave their lives at Antietam. Thank you.

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay