Re: [TalkAntietam] Hill's Light Division March

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
      The trowsers were all part of the new uniform issue that most regiments in
      the two divisions received in late August or early September, just before
      the move. There are numerous references to those issues in the letters and
      diaries of Kershaw's Benning's, Robertson's, and other troops.

      Dave Powell

      In a message dated 6/28/2012 7:04:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      gerry1952@... writes:

      When it went to Chickamauga, the two divisions of Longstreet's Corps that
      went west were all outfitted with kersey blue trowsers according to
      research Don Troiani did for one of his paintings. The trowsers may have been
      appropriated from dead Yankees.

      Hope this helps!

    • Brett Bondurant
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
        Thanks for all the great discussion on this. My reenactment unit and I
        plan to participate in the reenactment of the march of Hill's Light
        Division on Sept. 7 and I just wanted to portray his men's attire as
        closely as possible.

        Thanks,

        Brett Bondurant