RE: [TalkAntietam] Hill's Light Division March

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
      Dear Mike,

      I agree... Troy could be right. Yes, Les Jensen is the one, IIRC, who actually put the labels of Richmond Deport I, II, III on the jackets.I find it very interesting that no surviving examples (so far as is known) of Type I remain, but plenty of the transitional style between I and II, and probably between II and III.

      When it went to Chickamauga, the two divisions of Longstreet's Corps that went west were all outfitted with kersey blue trowsers according to research Don Troiani did for one of his paintings. The trowsers may have been appropriated from dead Yankees.

      Hope this helps!

      Gerry

      From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)
      behalf of Jim Rosebrock [_pointsalines@..._
      From: Michael Hardy
      <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
      <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
      To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
        Sorry about that- yes it's Les Jensen and his articles in the CMH, that lays out the type system.
        Doubt they were Federal trousers, but could be captured.

        ________________________________
        From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

        From: Michael Hardy
        <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
        <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
        To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
          Mike;

          I do believe by 1863 it was an established practice pretty much across the armies of the CS that supply needs would be made up in part from captured stocks and taken from the bodies of the enemy. Trowsers were indeed taken and appropriated, as happened before the sunken road wall at Fredericksburg in December, 1862. And the troops there belonged to Longstreet's Corps.

          BTW the painting I referenced that Don Troiani did is found on page 159 of his book "Don Troiani's Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War." If you have that book, you can also take a peek at page 145 as well.

          Gerry

          Gerry

          From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

          From: Michael Hardy
          <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
          <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
          To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
            The trowsers were all part of the new uniform issue that most regiments in
            the two divisions received in late August or early September, just before
            the move. There are numerous references to those issues in the letters and
            diaries of Kershaw's Benning's, Robertson's, and other troops.

            Dave Powell

            In a message dated 6/28/2012 7:04:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            gerry1952@... writes:

            When it went to Chickamauga, the two divisions of Longstreet's Corps that
            went west were all outfitted with kersey blue trowsers according to
            research Don Troiani did for one of his paintings. The trowsers may have been
            appropriated from dead Yankees.

            Hope this helps!

          • Brett Bondurant
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
              Thanks for all the great discussion on this. My reenactment unit and I
              plan to participate in the reenactment of the march of Hill's Light
              Division on Sept. 7 and I just wanted to portray his men's attire as
              closely as possible.

              Thanks,

              Brett Bondurant