Henry Kyd Douglas

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2012
      Friends:
      In my study of all things Hagerstown in the 19th Century military, I become more and more fascinated by Douglas...CS vet, founder of Hagerstown's National Guard Company, Adj Gen of the MNG.

      He seems to be someone you either love or hate. I hear all the jokes about "Stonewall Rode With Me" and the criticism that he embellished his stories. yet "I Rode With Stonewall" is still frequently cited by authors. I have not heard, however, any specific citations from his book that folks "call crap" on.

      Has anyone heard any specific examples of Douglas overblowing his role or just propagating bullcrap in "I Rode With Stonewall"?

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2012
        Yes, Dennis Frye wrote an article several years ago about the incident where Douglas claimed he saved Jackson from capture outside of Boonsboro, Sept. 10, 1862. It was printed in the magazine of the Civil War society, and I have a copy of it around here somewhere. He didn't make stuff up whole-cloth, but often embellished tales to make himself more important. Dennis had quotes from Hotchkiss and other staff officers that basically had the tone of "the kid is at it again."
        He is one of those people I'd like to buy at my price and sell at his.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2012
          A starting place are the footnotes in Robertson's biography.

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
          Huddleston.r@...

          "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are
          insane." ---Mark Twain

          On 6/27/2012 7:42 PM, Stephen wrote:
          > Friends:
          > In my study of all things Hagerstown in the 19th Century military, I
          > become more and more fascinated by Douglas...CS vet, founder of
          > Hagerstown's National Guard Company, Adj Gen of the MNG.
          >
          > He seems to be someone you either love or hate. I hear all the jokes
          > about "Stonewall Rode With Me" and the criticism that he embellished his
          > stories. yet "I Rode With Stonewall" is still frequently cited by
          > authors. I have not heard, however, any specific citations from his book
          > that folks "call crap" on.
          >
          > Has anyone heard any specific examples of Douglas overblowing his role
          > or just propagating bullcrap in "I Rode With Stonewall"?
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Steve Bockmiller

        • Larry Freiheit
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
            I cite Dennis and others in my cav book in chap. 6, p.193, re Douglas's veracity. I have several pages on that fight in Boonsboro.

            Larry

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
              Dear Larry;

              It would be interesting indeed if his actual diary could be brought to light, but I understand it is locked up away in private hands.

              Gerry

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
                I've talked with Doug Bast in Boonsboro who apparently has some of Douglas's writings. I haven't seen them to know if they are legible but he didn't seem reluctant to let me see them. After I finish my Mansfield bio I would like to edit those Douglas material along with Doug and publish them. I plan on talking with him soon see if he is still interested.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
                  Larry;

                  IIRC at some point in the past Bast was interested in publishing the diaries but he hit the snag of having to locate all the HKD descendants and have them sign off on the project.

                  Gerry