Hill's Light Division March

  • Michael Hardy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 26, 2012
      Teej - Capt.
      William Morris, commanding the 37th North Carolina Troops, Branch's brigade,
      Light Division, writes home on September 23, 1862:  “…we went to harpers Ferry & captured
      Twelve Thousand yankeys and all of there arms & stores.  they surrendered without Much fighting.  We had a fine time at harpers fery.  Got Plenty Shugar & Coffee, in fact all
      most any thing we could wish, clothing, etc.”
      He writes again
      on September 28, 1862: “I have Clothes plenty to Doo Me all winter as we all
      Got what we wanted at Harpers Ferry.”
      There are
      probably other examples in other letter sets. I just happen to be more familiar
      with the 37th NCT.
      Kindest Regards,
      Michael
      North Carolina and the Civil War blog
      2010-11 North Carolina Historian of the Year

    • Jim Rosebrock
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 27, 2012
        Michael,
        Are William Morris's letters found in a book on the 27th North Carolina?
        Regards
        Jim Rosebrock

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 27, 2012
          Thanks Mike. I am always skeptical of regimental histories, too much post-war influence on the writes. I do not doubt that some guys were wearing captured clothing, but I doubt enough of them to fool anyone to think they were a Union unit. I recall somewhere, no time to look now, a CS soldier saying unlike others, he only took underclothing, not wanting to be shot mistakenly. Good stuff!

          ________________________________

        • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 27, 2012
            I have a semi-related story:
            We have been researching the 1st Texas for a CSA impression, and have
            ben getting a lot of background material from the 1st Texas in Houston. While
            discussing uniform coats, he told me that the 1st received new Richmond
            Depot III coats from England, which were cadet gray, after Gettysburg. It
            seems that there was so much blue in them, that at Chickamaugua, their own
            friends from Longstreet's Corps mistook them for Federals, and fired a couple
            volleys at them.
            So, it was not uncommon to mistake friend from foe, in any battle. Even
            when wearing the right uniform.

            Mike Lavis

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 27, 2012
              This is exactly how Longstreet got wounded. Micah Jenkins' SC brigade had new dark gray jackets at Wilderness. Coming with Longstreet's flank attack they were fired into by their own men, who mistook them for Yankees. Longstreet was wounded severely, but Micah Jenkins was killed.
              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 27, 2012
                Mike;

                I thought Depot III uniforms were not issued until 1864 at the earliest?

                Gerry

                From: Michael Hardy

              • troyacool@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 27, 2012
                  I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but I recall Jerry Coates regretting (in a way) creating that nomenclature as the whole thing was a lot more fluid than the "type" system has become in modern ideas.
                  "Blue Grey English" cloth starts coming in the spring of 63.
                  And I believe there are extant sample of Blue trowsers, both Kersey and jeans, cut in the "Richmond style". But Ikd have to check with better sources.
                  Troy

                  From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                  Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 23:17:05
                  To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
                    Hi Gerry:

                    While I am very new to the study of CSA coats, I believe that Troy has
                    it correct. I have seen where the Stonewall Brigade got new English
                    Uniforms in early '63 which would have been the Tait jackets, and a cadet gray.
                    Some of this type of coat appears to have been issued without the shoulder
                    straps, and some with them.

                    Another place I looked says that the study and research is still going on,
                    as far as when the Type III's were made. From what I have seen, it seems
                    to depend upon the amount of available cloth, and how many uniforms they had
                    to make.

                    And someone else may know a lot more about this, but I do not see a
                    labeling of the jackets being done, just producing what they could, with what
                    they had to work with. The labels( I, II, III )is a more modern terminology
                    way to distinguish them.

                    Mike L

                    From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                    From: Michael Hardy
                    <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
                    <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
                    To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
                      Dear Mike,

                      I agree... Troy could be right. Yes, Les Jensen is the one, IIRC, who actually put the labels of Richmond Deport I, II, III on the jackets.I find it very interesting that no surviving examples (so far as is known) of Type I remain, but plenty of the transitional style between I and II, and probably between II and III.

                      When it went to Chickamauga, the two divisions of Longstreet's Corps that went west were all outfitted with kersey blue trowsers according to research Don Troiani did for one of his paintings. The trowsers may have been appropriated from dead Yankees.

                      Hope this helps!

                      From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                      From: Michael Hardy
                      <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
                      <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
                      To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
                        Sorry about that- yes it's Les Jensen and his articles in the CMH, that lays out the type system.
                        Doubt they were Federal trousers, but could be captured.

                        From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                        From: Michael Hardy
                        <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
                        <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
                        To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
                          Mike;

                          I do believe by 1863 it was an established practice pretty much across the armies of the CS that supply needs would be made up in part from captured stocks and taken from the bodies of the enemy. Trowsers were indeed taken and appropriated, as happened before the sunken road wall at Fredericksburg in December, 1862. And the troops there belonged to Longstreet's Corps.

                          BTW the painting I referenced that Don Troiani did is found on page 159 of his book "Don Troiani's Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War." If you have that book, you can also take a peek at page 145 as well.

                          Gerry

                          Gerry

                          From: _TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                          From: Michael Hardy
                          <_mchardy@..._ (mailto:mchardy@...)
                          <mailto:mchardy%40michaelchardy.com>>
                          To: "_TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com)

                        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
                            The trowsers were all part of the new uniform issue that most regiments in
                            the two divisions received in late August or early September, just before
                            the move. There are numerous references to those issues in the letters and
                            diaries of Kershaw's Benning's, Robertson's, and other troops.

                            Dave Powell

                            In a message dated 6/28/2012 7:04:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            gerry1952@... writes:

                            When it went to Chickamauga, the two divisions of Longstreet's Corps that
                            went west were all outfitted with kersey blue trowsers according to
                            research Don Troiani did for one of his paintings. The trowsers may have been
                            appropriated from dead Yankees.

                            Hope this helps!

                          • Brett Bondurant
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
                              Thanks for all the great discussion on this. My reenactment unit and I
                              plan to participate in the reenactment of the march of Hill's Light
                              Division on Sept. 7 and I just wanted to portray his men's attire as
                              closely as possible.

                              Thanks,

                              Brett Bondurant