Re: Hill's Light Division march

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2012
      Brett,

      I agree with Tom in that much of this is overblown. One of the park rangers also presented an interesting theory that some men in Gregg's brigade wore dark gray uniforms that may have been mistaken for blue in the late afternoon light.

      I did, however, come across a couple of sources about the Confederate acquisition of Federal uniforms at Harpers Ferry, noted in Keith Bohannon's essay "Confederate Logistical Problems in the 1862 Maryland Campaign" in Gary Gallagher's "Antietam Campaign," page 114.

      Captain Andrew B. Wardlaw, 14th South Carolina, Gregg's Brigade, wrote in his diary that "the whole groundÂ…was pretty well covered in places with old clothes which our soldiers had thrown off, substituting news ones."

      Robert T. Mockbee wrote in the regimental history of the 14th Tennessee that so many men from Archer's brigade clothed themselves in new Federal uniforms "but for the tattered Battle flags might have been taken for a brand new Brigade from Boston."

      Steve