RE: [TalkAntietam] Hill's Light Division march

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2012
      From my research, i think this is overblown. If they are coming up in rear of their own troops how would they avoid getting shot by their own people? I have seen a quote from a guy Gen. Hill told to take off the jacket before someone shot him. Much of the Union sources for this come from 16th CT guys trying to justify the disaster that happened to them.
      ________________________________
      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of G E Mayers [gerry1952@...]
      Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 10:47 AM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Hill's Light Division march

      Brett,

      My understanding from reading sources is, quite a bit. You might want to check the article on Jackson's operations at Harpers Ferry in the Battles and Leaders, vol II, by H K Douglas.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2012
        Hey, man don't you go dissin' the boys in the 16th CT. The 'disaster' was the fault of the 4th RI. ;-)

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...> wrote:

        > From my research, i think this is overblown. If they are coming up in rear of their own troops how would they avoid getting shot by their own people? I have seen a quote from a guy Gen. Hill told to take off the jacket before someone shot him. Much of the Union sources for this come from 16th CT guys trying to justify the disaster that happened to them.
      • cowie_steve
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2012
          Brett,

          I agree with Tom in that much of this is overblown. One of the park rangers also presented an interesting theory that some men in Gregg's brigade wore dark gray uniforms that may have been mistaken for blue in the late afternoon light.

          I did, however, come across a couple of sources about the Confederate acquisition of Federal uniforms at Harpers Ferry, noted in Keith Bohannon's essay "Confederate Logistical Problems in the 1862 Maryland Campaign" in Gary Gallagher's "Antietam Campaign," page 114.

          Captain Andrew B. Wardlaw, 14th South Carolina, Gregg's Brigade, wrote in his diary that "the whole groundÂ…was pretty well covered in places with old clothes which our soldiers had thrown off, substituting news ones."

          Robert T. Mockbee wrote in the regimental history of the 14th Tennessee that so many men from Archer's brigade clothed themselves in new Federal uniforms "but for the tattered Battle flags might have been taken for a brand new Brigade from Boston."

          Steve