49th letters

  • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2012
      Tom:

      The 49th NY letters came today, thank you once again.
      I dove right into them.

      Lt Colonel Alberger clearly was a well educated man, and had great
      penmanship. I only had trouble with 2-3 words in all the letters. We can now
      pinpoint the movements of the 49th at Gettysburg, Cedar Creek, Spotsylvaina,
      and Antietam.

      The letters did answer one of my questions about their advance. Their
      brigade was only to go as far as the "small hill" near the Dunker Church and
      wait for the rest of the division. He mentions having to hold the 49th back,
      as they wanted to go farther on.
      I had always wondered why they stopped with the CSA line so thin right
      there.
      It appears to me that they were sent in to guard and support the flank of
      French's Division from another push such as Cooke had just made with his
      two NC regiments.
      If you or anyone else on this forum has more information on this I'd love
      to hear it.
      We will be doing a Living History Field Hospital on the Mumma farm in
      October, and I am going to take the 49th where they marched and fought.

      Too bad Lt. Col. Alberger didn't relay the details of the "few words" he
      exchanged with Gen. Hancock as they passed by his brigade. That could have
      been interestingly insightful concerning both men, about to go into a
      desperate battle as they were. I'll wager that Hancock expected to be ordered to
      follow Irwin's brigade at any moment.

      Another one of those "what-if's"

      Thanks again
      Mike Lavis

    • Thomas G. Clemens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2012
        One of the things i learned reading the letters; Carman and board originally wrote text for a tablet describing Baldy Smith's division being "checked" in their advance. Smith, and eventually Franklin, vociferously objected, wrote several letters arguing the point and even visted the field, along with Hyde of the 7th ME. Carman relented because Smith insisted his orders were only to advance that far, and there was no intended attack. After 30+ year it still made a huge difference to him to say his division was not "checked.!" Fun stuff.

        Which weekend in October?

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
          Have you (or anyone else here) ever seen the poem "When the Boys In Blue
          Are Gone" by John Hendricks? He was a veteran of the 89th Indiana.
          It was given to me just before a reenactment in Kentucky, in 1993-1994 and
          I have carried it with me ever since.
          I have also read it to the men at several events, and publicly at different
          dedications and ceremonies.
          There is not way to improve upon the sentiments of that poem, and to
          better illustrate what their soldier life, and experiences meant to them.

          It is not overly long and I can reproduce it here it desired.

          We are going to take part in the "Aftermath of Battle" weekend on the 13th
          and 14th of October. It is our first time working as the 49th NY with the
          NPS, so we hope it will come off OK.

          I will be very easy to find down there, a friend is bringing some horses,
          and we have permission to ride them. So being mounted, I will be a field
          level officer, depending on what shoulder straps I have on at that time. Most
          likely Colonel.

          More fun stuff- On a 2nd reading of the letters I caught something I
          missed the first time. In his letter dated 20 Feb. 1905 Col. Alberger wrote
          that after he got the regiment into their final position he was approached
          by Adjutant General Long
          "with the compliments of General Smith (in a flask)"
          He remembered that flask 43 years later.

          Mike L

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2012
            Mike,
            No, I don't think I've seen it, and would like a copy. Also, as a favor, if you or someone, transcribe those 49th letters I'd like copies. I sometimes post letters on my blog, and it is always easier to read typescripts when I am looking for something. I'll check my calendar, and if nothing conflicts that weekend I'll stop by.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2012
              Mike;

              Please share that poem with us if possible.

              Gerry