RE: [TalkAntietam] A/SM visit follow up

  • Thomas G. Clemens
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
      Agreed Mike, email is a difficult way to communicate. And I note by your address that you have an interest in the 49th NY, one of the 6th Corps regiment engaged on the 17th. In the Battlefield Board Papers are 5 or 6 letters from veterans of the 49th, interested in copies? Mostly from someone named Alberger.
      Tom Clemens
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
        Thank you Tom:
        I would love some copies, and will gladly pay for any cost incurred.
        Alberger was the major of the 49th, and the Mayor of Buffalo's brother. He
        was wounded in the face by a shell fragment during the battle, and
        disabled.

        We have a difficult time finding letters and artifacts from the 49th. We
        suspect that they were in a GAR hall in Buffalo, and were supposed to end up
        at the Historical Society. They never got there.

        Mike L

      • Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2012
          That happens way too often, sorry. Contact me off-line with your address and I'll send them along. Don't worry about cost, it'll make up for my snapping at you. :-)
          Tom Clemens
          ________________________________

          Yes, Gerry I knew exactly who His Holiness was before I wrote that. I also
          knew that I was opening myself up to what I hoped was a decent come back by
          someone who knows more about the subject than I do.

          I generalized some of my comments in order to be brief, and figuring that
          since everyone here knows a lot about the subject I didn't need to
          elaborate, or quote chapter and verse on everything. Much of what I said
          has been
          discussed since the end of the battle itself.

          However what I did not expect was a series of insults and the attitude
          that seems to say
          "How dare you question ME? I am far superior to you and everyone else,
          therefore I can pass judgement upon lowly insignificant peons and say
          whatever I wish about them. And then have all my adoring public
          congratulate me on
          my great intellect."

          I was once told by a Pastor that you can tell the maturity of a man by how
          he treats others. I have found that to be true, 100% of the time.

          Anything else I might say, or any response to the points raised would
          most likely degenerate into more of the same tone as Tom's and I do not
          think
          this forum would be the better for it.

          I think it best that I be removed from this mailing list. I can't respect
          anyone who treats people in this manner, no matter who they may be.

          Very Sincerely
          Mike Lavis

          In a message dated 6/2/2012 3:38:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          gerry1952@...<mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1
          952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> writes:

          Good refutes Tom!

          Mike, I know Tom Clemens personally, and he is one of the few persons I
          would unhesitatingly say is a "True Expert" on the campaign and battle.

          Taken at the Flood by Harsh is a very good read and well worth the study;
          the companion book Sounding the Shallows is also good as it is Dr Harsh's
          research notes for TATF.

          "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one
          period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels
          them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances
          which
          govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new
          order
          of things." -- Robert E. Lee

          (mailto:MikeL49NYVI@...<mailto:MikeL49NYVI%40aol.com><mailto:MikeL49NYVI%40aol.com><mailto:MikeL49NYVI
          %40aol.com>)