RE: [TalkAntietam] A/SM visit follow up

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
      Dear Mike;

      I myself nor anyone else, intended to insult you on this or any other board. However, perhaps you should have stated you were making "general" comments?

      If you can indicate what you have already read on the Campaign and battle and then offer specific areas for discussion (friendly, agree to disagree, etc.), I think we can all benefit....

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
        Mike,
        I di not intend to insult you. If you'd brought up your points as questions or for discussion instead of arrogantly and directly challenging my statement I would have responded differently. As far as I am concerned, you started it. I responded inkind. If you intended otherwise it sure didn't show. But I did enjoy being called His Holiness, never heard that before.
        Tom Clemens
        ________________________________

        (mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>)

      • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
          Tom, Gerry:

          I had no intention of being arrogant, or challenging, that is always
          the problem with e-mails and forums. I fully acknowledged that most of you
          know more about the entire campaign than I do. And I never think I am the
          last word on any subject. That is why I began with saying I was looking for a
          decent discussion.
          Also, I was on my way to a memorial service for my Great Aunt, and
          noticed I was running very late. (My 83 year old mom can get feisty) and while
          I felt some of my wording, especially the last sentence was "weak" I didn't
          want to redo the entire thing all over again. So I hoped that it would
          read OK.

          I guess it didn't......
          For that I do apologize

          Interestingly enough I am about to leave for Sharpsburg, to look over the
          reenactment site, and spend a bit of time on the battlefield. I have to do
          it in one day, - work issues

          I have been called many things, some printable, some not. "Commander of the
          Galaxy"
          and "Empire Builder" are my personal favorites.

          Mike Lavis

        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
            Agreed Mike, email is a difficult way to communicate. And I note by your address that you have an interest in the 49th NY, one of the 6th Corps regiment engaged on the 17th. In the Battlefield Board Papers are 5 or 6 letters from veterans of the 49th, interested in copies? Mostly from someone named Alberger.
            Tom Clemens
            ________________________________

            (mailto:tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu><mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>)

          • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
              Thank you Tom:
              I would love some copies, and will gladly pay for any cost incurred.
              Alberger was the major of the 49th, and the Mayor of Buffalo's brother. He
              was wounded in the face by a shell fragment during the battle, and
              disabled.

              We have a difficult time finding letters and artifacts from the 49th. We
              suspect that they were in a GAR hall in Buffalo, and were supposed to end up
              at the Historical Society. They never got there.

              Mike L

            • Thomas G. Clemens
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2012
                That happens way too often, sorry. Contact me off-line with your address and I'll send them along. Don't worry about cost, it'll make up for my snapping at you. :-)
                Tom Clemens
                ________________________________

                Yes, Gerry I knew exactly who His Holiness was before I wrote that. I also
                knew that I was opening myself up to what I hoped was a decent come back by
                someone who knows more about the subject than I do.

                I generalized some of my comments in order to be brief, and figuring that
                since everyone here knows a lot about the subject I didn't need to
                elaborate, or quote chapter and verse on everything. Much of what I said
                has been
                discussed since the end of the battle itself.

                However what I did not expect was a series of insults and the attitude
                that seems to say
                "How dare you question ME? I am far superior to you and everyone else,
                therefore I can pass judgement upon lowly insignificant peons and say
                whatever I wish about them. And then have all my adoring public
                congratulate me on
                my great intellect."

                I was once told by a Pastor that you can tell the maturity of a man by how
                he treats others. I have found that to be true, 100% of the time.

                Anything else I might say, or any response to the points raised would
                most likely degenerate into more of the same tone as Tom's and I do not
                think
                this forum would be the better for it.

                I think it best that I be removed from this mailing list. I can't respect
                anyone who treats people in this manner, no matter who they may be.

                Very Sincerely
                Mike Lavis

                In a message dated 6/2/2012 3:38:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                gerry1952@...<mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1
                952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> writes:

                Good refutes Tom!

                Mike, I know Tom Clemens personally, and he is one of the few persons I
                would unhesitatingly say is a "True Expert" on the campaign and battle.

                Taken at the Flood by Harsh is a very good read and well worth the study;
                the companion book Sounding the Shallows is also good as it is Dr Harsh's
                research notes for TATF.

                "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one
                period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels
                them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances
                which
                govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new
                order
                of things." -- Robert E. Lee

                (mailto:MikeL49NYVI@...<mailto:MikeL49NYVI%40aol.com><mailto:MikeL49NYVI%40aol.com><mailto:MikeL49NYVI
                %40aol.com>)