Re: [TalkAntietam] A/SM visit follow up

  • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
      Just for the sake of an interesting discussion:

      True, McCellan did revitalize the army, however, the 2nd and the 6th
      Corps had not been beaten at 2nd Bull Run. In fact Mac's slowness in sending
      them to Pope (in defiance of orders) could have been taken as
      insubordination or even traitorous.
      So, it was not the entire army that was beaten down.
      He was given the opportunity of a lifetime when Lee's orders were
      discovered. Yet he moved at his own pace and allowed Harpers Ferry to be
      taken, and for Lee to concentrate at Sharpsburg. 70 miles in 13 days comes out
      to about 5-1/2 miles a day. They could not have been mistaken for Jackson's
      "Foot Cavalry" at that rate.

      Once he got to Sharpsburg, he wasted an entire day, sitting there, and
      then telegraphed his punch by having the 1st and 12 corps move into
      position the night before the battle. Lee and Stonewall knew exactly where to
      concentrate their brigades.

      He allowed Burnside to have a childish tantrum, which made for a very
      awkward chain of command, and a delay in getting orders acted upon.

      He never left the Pry House yard to see what was actually going on
      during the battle, and had the entire 5th corps and most of the 6th sit there,
      and do nothing when the fight hung in the balance.

      And to be frank, he really didn't "drive" Lee off the battlefield.
      The Confederates sat there the next day, almost daring Mac to attack again.
      They then left that night, when they were good and ready to leave.

      From my humble perspective and that of many contemporaries, historians
      and authors I'd say these are issues that invite the need for a defense.

      Mike Lavis

      In a message dated 6/1/2012 1:27:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      tgclemens@... writes:

      McClellan took a a beaten, dispirited and demoralized force, in three days
      had it ready to take the field. From Sept. 6 to Sept. 19 he marched that
      army 70 miles, fought two battles where he drove Lee's army from the field,
      forcing him to retreat night from one of them. Why would he need
      defending????? Name me another commander who did that.
      Tom Clemens

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
        ________________________________
        See my comments below, I don't mind an interesting discussion, but it would be nice to do some research first.

        Just for the sake of an interesting discussion:

        True, McCellan did revitalize the army, however, the 2nd and the 6th
        Corps had not been beaten at 2nd Bull Run. In fact Mac's slowness in sending
        them to Pope (in defiance of orders) could have been taken as
        insubordination or even traitorous.

        Or extreme sanity in the face of panic. Sending the 6th Corps into without artillery or trains into an unknown situation was ludicrous and he said so.

        So, it was not the entire army that was beaten down.

        No, but those not beaten were demoralized at being withdrawn from 20 miles of Richmond in defiance of any logical strategy.

        He was given the opportunity of a lifetime when Lee's orders were
        discovered. Yet he moved at his own pace and allowed Harpers Ferry to be
        taken, and for Lee to concentrate at Sharpsburg. 70 miles in 13 days comes out
        to about 5-1/2 miles a day. They could not have been mistaken for Jackson's
        "Foot Cavalry" at that rate.

        Too little space to furnish all arguments, but when 191 was found his army was already in motion, no CS infantry closer than 12 miles at best, no evidence of the size of Lee's army, CS cavalry blocking Hagan's Gap until 2 p.m., and by the time 191 was verified as accurate, it was dark. He moved quickly the next day and drove Lee's forces from two gaps in the afternoon, one after dark, and making Lee's army retreat after dark.

        Once he got to Sharpsburg, he wasted an entire day, sitting there, and
        then telegraphed his punch by having the 1st and 12 corps move into
        position the night before the battle. Lee and Stonewall knew exactly where to
        concentrate their brigades.

        He didn't sit the whole day, and the facts are indisputable. He reconnoitered, placed artillery, formulated a plan and ordered Hooker across the creek by 1:00, even though he could not see across the creek until 9:00.

        He allowed Burnside to have a childish tantrum, which made for a very
        awkward chain of command, and a delay in getting orders acted upon.

        See OR 19, pt. 2, for his orders to Burnside. Firm, direct and to the point. And no, Burnside had no tantrum, but was reluctant.

        He never left the Pry House yard to see what was actually going on
        during the battle, and had the entire 5th corps and most of the 6th sit there,
        and do nothing when the fight hung in the balance.

        Again this is easliy and demonstrably disproven. For instance, he rode across the creek in early afternoon to East Woods, not returning until after 4. Have you really read anything on the battle? Sykes' division crossed Middle bridge and was engaged, suffered 109 casualties, while two of Morrell's brigades were sent to, and then recalled from, East Woods. Sixth Corps was sent to same place, lost 439 casualties, and was under bombardment on the 17th and 18th.

        And to be frank, he really didn't "drive" Lee off the battlefield.
        The Confederates sat there the next day, almost daring Mac to attack again.
        They then left that night, when they were good and ready to leave.

        Any casual study of the ANV will show they were shattered, and if they didn't leave until were good and ready to leave it begs the question, Why did they leave?

        From my humble perspective and that of many contemporaries, historians
        and authors I'd say these are issues that invite the need for a defense.

        If any professional historian wrote the inaccuracies you cite above they need to be drummed out of the profession. Read Joseph Harsh, Taken at the Flood, Ethan Rafuse, McClellan's War and either edition of Ezra Carman's manuscript of the campaign.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
          Good refutes Tom!

          Mike, I know Tom Clemens personally, and he is one of the few persons I would unhesitatingly say is a "True Expert" on the campaign and battle.

          Taken at the Flood by Harsh is a very good read and well worth the study; the companion book Sounding the Shallows is also good as it is Dr Harsh's research notes for TATF.

          "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

        • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
            Yes, Gerry I knew exactly who His Holiness was before I wrote that. I also
            knew that I was opening myself up to what I hoped was a decent come back by
            someone who knows more about the subject than I do.

            I generalized some of my comments in order to be brief, and figuring that
            since everyone here knows a lot about the subject I didn't need to
            elaborate, or quote chapter and verse on everything. Much of what I said has been
            discussed since the end of the battle itself.

            However what I did not expect was a series of insults and the attitude
            that seems to say
            "How dare you question ME? I am far superior to you and everyone else,
            therefore I can pass judgement upon lowly insignificant peons and say
            whatever I wish about them. And then have all my adoring public congratulate me on
            my great intellect."

            I was once told by a Pastor that you can tell the maturity of a man by how
            he treats others. I have found that to be true, 100% of the time.

            Anything else I might say, or any response to the points raised would
            most likely degenerate into more of the same tone as Tom's and I do not think
            this forum would be the better for it.

            I think it best that I be removed from this mailing list. I can't respect
            anyone who treats people in this manner, no matter who they may be.

            Very Sincerely
            Mike Lavis

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
              Dear Mike;

              I myself nor anyone else, intended to insult you on this or any other board. However, perhaps you should have stated you were making "general" comments?

              If you can indicate what you have already read on the Campaign and battle and then offer specific areas for discussion (friendly, agree to disagree, etc.), I think we can all benefit....

              gerry1952@... writes:

              Good refutes Tom!

              Mike, I know Tom Clemens personally, and he is one of the few persons I
              would unhesitatingly say is a "True Expert" on the campaign and battle.

              Taken at the Flood by Harsh is a very good read and well worth the study;
              the companion book Sounding the Shallows is also good as it is Dr Harsh's
              research notes for TATF.

              "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one
              period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels
              them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which
              govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order
              of things." -- Robert E. Lee

            • Thomas G. Clemens
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
                Mike,
                I di not intend to insult you. If you'd brought up your points as questions or for discussion instead of arrogantly and directly challenging my statement I would have responded differently. As far as I am concerned, you started it. I responded inkind. If you intended otherwise it sure didn't show. But I did enjoy being called His Holiness, never heard that before.
                Tom Clemens
                ________________________________

              • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
                  Tom, Gerry:

                  I had no intention of being arrogant, or challenging, that is always
                  the problem with e-mails and forums. I fully acknowledged that most of you
                  know more about the entire campaign than I do. And I never think I am the
                  last word on any subject. That is why I began with saying I was looking for a
                  decent discussion.
                  Also, I was on my way to a memorial service for my Great Aunt, and
                  noticed I was running very late. (My 83 year old mom can get feisty) and while
                  I felt some of my wording, especially the last sentence was "weak" I didn't
                  want to redo the entire thing all over again. So I hoped that it would
                  read OK.

                  I guess it didn't......
                  For that I do apologize

                  Interestingly enough I am about to leave for Sharpsburg, to look over the
                  reenactment site, and spend a bit of time on the battlefield. I have to do
                  it in one day, - work issues

                  I have been called many things, some printable, some not. "Commander of the
                  Galaxy"
                  and "Empire Builder" are my personal favorites.

                  Mike Lavis

                • Thomas G. Clemens
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
                    Agreed Mike, email is a difficult way to communicate. And I note by your address that you have an interest in the 49th NY, one of the 6th Corps regiment engaged on the 17th. In the Battlefield Board Papers are 5 or 6 letters from veterans of the 49th, interested in copies? Mostly from someone named Alberger.
                    Tom Clemens
                    ________________________________

                    (mailto:tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu><mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>)

                  • MikeL49NYVI@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Thank you Tom:
                      I would love some copies, and will gladly pay for any cost incurred.
                      Alberger was the major of the 49th, and the Mayor of Buffalo's brother. He
                      was wounded in the face by a shell fragment during the battle, and
                      disabled.

                      We have a difficult time finding letters and artifacts from the 49th. We
                      suspect that they were in a GAR hall in Buffalo, and were supposed to end up
                      at the Historical Society. They never got there.

                      Mike L

                    • Thomas G. Clemens
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3, 2012
                        That happens way too often, sorry. Contact me off-line with your address and I'll send them along. Don't worry about cost, it'll make up for my snapping at you. :-)
                        Tom Clemens
                        ________________________________

                        From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>
                        [TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>] on
                        behalf of G E Mayers
                        [gerry1952@...<mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net>]
                        Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2012 10:40 PM
                        To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>

> [...]

                        In a message dated 6/2/2012 3:38:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        gerry1952@...<mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1
                        952%40verizon.net><mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> writes:

                        Good refutes Tom!

                        Mike, I know Tom Clemens personally, and he is one of the few persons I
                        would unhesitatingly say is a "True Expert" on the campaign and battle.

                        Taken at the Flood by Harsh is a very good read and well worth the study;
                        the companion book Sounding the Shallows is also good as it is Dr Harsh's
                        research notes for TATF.

                        "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one
                        period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels
                        them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances
                        which
                        govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new

                        (mailto:MikeL49NYVI@...<mailto:MikeL49NYVI%40aol.com><mailto:MikeL49NYVI%40aol.com><mailto:MikeL49NYVI
                        %40aol.com>)

                        _tgclemens@...<mailto:_tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu><mailto:_tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu><mailto:_tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>_
                        (mailto:tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu><mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu><mail