Re: A/SM visit help

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2012
      Chris

      Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2012
        You might want to invest the time in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood... GREAT overview of the strategy employed by Lee etc.

        Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "certainreasons" <certainreasons@...> wrote:

        > Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions, whatever welcomed.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Chris

      • Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2012
          Chris,
          There is a small museum at Washington Monument State Park just a mile north of the South Mt. Inn at the top of Turner's Gap. They have driving tour brochures too, and a short walk will give you a splendid view. Also Antietam Battlefield Museum Store has licensed guides that can give tours of South MT. as well as Antietam.
          Tom Clemens