Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: A/SM visit help

  • Audrey Scanlan-Teller
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2012
      Dear Chris,

      Keep in mind the South Mountain gaps are spread out and you want to
      allow time just to travel between them. You can even hike the
      Appalachian trail between the gaps to have the perspective of the
      Confederate movements along the ridge road (I'd recommend a hike between
      Turners and Fox's Gap if you are a hiker -- it takes about 45 minutes
      each way). You can park near the AT at the Mountain House (now the South
      Mountain Inn) and walk south to Fox's Gap and then reverse course. I've
      never walked from Fox's Gap to Crampton's Gap but I know hikers who have
      -- that would take the better part of a day in itself.

      If you want, I can send you a South Mountain Battlefield driving tour
      map that the Central Maryland Heritage League published several years ago.

      Send me a message to my e-mail with your mailing address and I'll get it
      off to you.

      Audrey Scanlan-Teller

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2012
        Chris

        Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2012
          You might want to invest the time in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood... GREAT overview of the strategy employed by Lee etc.

          Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "certainreasons" <certainreasons@...> wrote:

          > Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions, whatever welcomed.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Chris

        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2012
            Chris,
            There is a small museum at Washington Monument State Park just a mile north of the South Mt. Inn at the top of Turner's Gap. They have driving tour brochures too, and a short walk will give you a splendid view. Also Antietam Battlefield Museum Store has licensed guides that can give tours of South MT. as well as Antietam.
            Tom Clemens