A/SM visit help

  • certainreasons
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2012
      Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions, whatever welcomed.

      Thanks in advance,

      Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2012
        Chris,

        The South Mountain Battlefields are mostly on public land and can easily be toured before lunch. Ethan Rafuse has a great new guide book that will help you navigate the roads in the area. You could then even do Harpers Ferry in the afternoon.

        One way to do it might be to get a guide and tour Antietam on the morning of your first day. They will give you a great overview of the campaign at the start of your tour. You could be done by lunch on your first day. Then with an understanding of Antietam and the whole campaign, your own personal tramping will be more meaningful. My guess is that you would appreciate South Mountain more after a tour of Antietam.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "certainreasons" <certainreasons@...> wrote:

        > Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions, whatever welcomed.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Chris

      • Audrey Scanlan-Teller
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2012
          Dear Chris,

          Keep in mind the South Mountain gaps are spread out and you want to
          allow time just to travel between them. You can even hike the
          Appalachian trail between the gaps to have the perspective of the
          Confederate movements along the ridge road (I'd recommend a hike between
          Turners and Fox's Gap if you are a hiker -- it takes about 45 minutes
          each way). You can park near the AT at the Mountain House (now the South
          Mountain Inn) and walk south to Fox's Gap and then reverse course. I've
          never walked from Fox's Gap to Crampton's Gap but I know hikers who have
          -- that would take the better part of a day in itself.

          If you want, I can send you a South Mountain Battlefield driving tour
          map that the Central Maryland Heritage League published several years ago.

          Send me a message to my e-mail with your mailing address and I'll get it
          off to you.

          Audrey Scanlan-Teller

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2012
            Chris

            Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2012
              You might want to invest the time in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood... GREAT overview of the strategy employed by Lee etc.

              Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "certainreasons" <certainreasons@...> wrote:

              > Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions, whatever welcomed.
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Chris

            • Thomas G. Clemens
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2012
                Chris,
                There is a small museum at Washington Monument State Park just a mile north of the South Mt. Inn at the top of Turner's Gap. They have driving tour brochures too, and a short walk will give you a splendid view. Also Antietam Battlefield Museum Store has licensed guides that can give tours of South MT. as well as Antietam.
                Tom Clemens