Re: [TalkAntietam] Mountain howitzer

  • James Buchanan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2012
      The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.

      Source:

      Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.

      See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/

      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2012
        Thanks, but, bummer,

        Any original tubes from the battle?

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, James Buchanan <j.buchanan7@...> wrote:

        > The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.
        >
        > Source:
        >
        > Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.
        >
        > See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/
        >
        > On May 26, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Scott D Hann wrote:
        >
        > > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
        > >
        > > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
        > > recker@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
        > >> the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
        > >> only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
        > >> correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
        > >> repositionings. It would probably be in that.
        > >>

        > > --
        > > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        > > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
        > > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

      • Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2012
          Not that anyone knows of, no. However Charles Griffin, V Corps, did recognize a parrott rifle captured at Shepherdstown Ford as one of his guns captured at First Bull Run. Sweet revenge!
          Tom