Re: Mountain howitzer

    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2012
      Yeah, I think you are correct. It is a 10 lb. tube.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

      > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
      >
      > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
      > recker@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
      > > the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
      > > only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
      > > correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
      > > repositionings. It would probably be in that.
      > >

      > --
      > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
      > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
      > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

    • James Buchanan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2012
        The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.

        Source:

        Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.

        See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/

        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2012
          Thanks, but, bummer,

          Any original tubes from the battle?

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, James Buchanan <j.buchanan7@...> wrote:

          > The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.
          >
          > Source:
          >
          > Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.
          >
          > See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/
          >
          > On May 26, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Scott D Hann wrote:
          >
          > > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
          > >
          > > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
          > > recker@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> **
          > >>

          > >> Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
          > >> the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
          > >> only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
          > >> correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
          > >> repositionings. It would probably be in that.
          > >>

          > > --
          > > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
          > > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
          > > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2012
            Not that anyone knows of, no. However Charles Griffin, V Corps, did recognize a parrott rifle captured at Shepherdstown Ford as one of his guns captured at First Bull Run. Sweet revenge!
            Tom