Re: [TalkAntietam] Mountain howitzer

  • Scott D Hann
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2012
      I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.

      --
      *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
      http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm

      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2012
        Yeah, I think you are correct. It is a 10 lb. tube.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

        > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
        >
        > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
        > recker@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
        > > the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
        > > only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
        > > correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
        > > repositionings. It would probably be in that.
        > >

        > --
        > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
        > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

      • James Buchanan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2012
          The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.

          Source:

          Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.

          See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/

          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2012
            Thanks, but, bummer,

            Any original tubes from the battle?

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, James Buchanan <j.buchanan7@...> wrote:

            > The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.
            >
            > Source:
            >
            > Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.
            >
            > See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/
            >
            > On May 26, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Scott D Hann wrote:
            >
            > > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
            > >
            > > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
            > > recker@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> **
            > >>

            > >> Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
            > >> the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
            > >> only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
            > >> correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
            > >> repositionings. It would probably be in that.
            > >>

            > > --
            > > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
            > > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
            > > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

          • Thomas G. Clemens
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2012
              Not that anyone knows of, no. However Charles Griffin, V Corps, did recognize a parrott rifle captured at Shepherdstown Ford as one of his guns captured at First Bull Run. Sweet revenge!
              Tom