Mountain howitzer

    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2012
      Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon repositionings. It would probably be in that.
    • Scott D Hann
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2012
        I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.

        --
        *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm

        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2012
          Yeah, I think you are correct. It is a 10 lb. tube.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

          > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
          >
          > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
          > recker@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
          > > the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
          > > only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
          > > correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
          > > repositionings. It would probably be in that.
          > >

          > --
          > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
          > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
          > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

        • James Buchanan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2012
            The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.

            Source:

            Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.

            See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/

            Message 5 of 6 , May 26, 2012
              Thanks, but, bummer,

              Any original tubes from the battle?

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, James Buchanan <j.buchanan7@...> wrote:

              > The piece at the Brockenbrough Battery site in the West Woods is a 12lb smooth bore howitzer of unknown origin.
              >
              > Source:
              >
              > Keith B. Snyder, Artillery Study and Proposed Relocation of Guns (NPS: Antietam National Battlefield, 2012), p.
              >
              > See also, http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/cs-12-pdr-fh-part-2/
              >
              > On May 26, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Scott D Hann wrote:
              >
              > > I think the Baltimore Artillery used a 10 lb. howitzer.
              > >
              > > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Stephen Recker <
              > > recker@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> **
              > >>

              > >> Seems to me I remember being told that the 12-lb Mountain Howitzer back in
              > >> the West Woods was used in the battle by Confederates and that it is the
              > >> only tube on the field that they can show was there on the day. Am I
              > >> correct? I can't find my copy of Keith's inventory from the cannon
              > >> repositionings. It would probably be in that.
              > >>

              > > --
              > > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
              > > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
              > > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

            • Thomas G. Clemens
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2012
                Not that anyone knows of, no. However Charles Griffin, V Corps, did recognize a parrott rifle captured at Shepherdstown Ford as one of his guns captured at First Bull Run. Sweet revenge!
                Tom