New member

  • Michael C. Hardy
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      Greetings Folks! Just signed up for what I hope is a long term of
      service. My interest in the east is the Branch/Lane brigade.
      Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be finishing my manuscript on
      the 37th NCT (of the Branch/Lane brigade) and am seriously
      considering a bio of James H. Lane as my next "little" project. I'm
      also a long term living historian/reenactor (18+ years), but really
      only do western. Also, as of last Saturday, I can now claim to be a
      "dad." I'm sure that Nathaniel Harrison Hardy and myself will be
      spending more than a few late night hours in front of the monitor
      reading post.

      Your servant,
      Michael C. Hardy
      Boone, NC
    • grabilljs@hqmc.usmc.mil
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2001
        Mr Hardy:

        Its off topic, but Congratulations! I have 4, and now I know why soldiers
        go off to war! :)

        Glad to have you aboard!

        Jason Grabill
      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2001
          In a message dated 05/04/2001 12:13:22 PM EST, mchardy@... writes:
          << Greetings Folks! Just signed up for what I hope is a long term of
          service. >>

          Welcome, Michael!

          It seems this group's membership is growing nicely.

          Tom Shay
        • Ron Church
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
            Good evening all,

            I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. I have been interested in September '62 Maryland campaign for a number of years some time now and look forward to exchanging ideas and information with the members of the group.

            Best Regards
            Ron Church
            Manchester, Md

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
              In a message dated 07/07/2002 10:34:22 PM EST, rchurch@... writes:
              << I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. >>

              Ron, welcome to TalkAntietam. Are you also member of GDG? If so, I assume it
              was you who gave us the Pipe Creek tour several years ago.

              Feel free to initiate any discussions about the Maryland Campaign that
              interest you.

              Now that the anniversary of that "other battle" is over, we can focus on the
              real High Water Mark: Antietam.

              Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                Ron,

                Welcome. I am not the moderator of this group but a fellow
                member. Looking forward to your questions and also learning from
                you as well.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Pvt., CS Signals,
                Longstreet's Corps

                Edward Lee

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                  Tom S;

                  Were you by any chance at Gburg this weekend? If so, answer me
                  privately please.

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Pvt., CS Signals,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Edward Lee

                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                  > Free $5 Love Reading
                  > Risk Free!
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pp91HA/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/GmiolB/TM
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • thomasdledward
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                    Good day all,

                    I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
                    Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

                    I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
                    and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
                    and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
                    year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
                    mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
                    complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

                    I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
                    there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

                    I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
                    fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
                    One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
                    the trail.

                    Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
                    1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
                    in 1974 and have been here ever since.
                    But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
                    Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

                    I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
                    with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

                    At present, I'm list owner of
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
                    aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
                    Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

                    Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
                    Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

                    best,

                    David Townsend
                  • bdowney@aotw.org
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                      Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
                      as we go,

                      Regards,
                      Brian
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                        I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
                        the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
                        says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
                        Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
                        book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
                        any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

                        Stephen Recker
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                          Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
                          badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
                          that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
                          the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
                          hear it. Thanks.

                          Stephen