Thanks all for your help!

    Message 1 of 6 , May 25 8:35 AM
      My sincere thanks is due to followers of this site as my book about cavalry during the Maryland Campaign is about to be printed ("Boots and Saddles: Cavalry During the Maryland Campaign of September 1862").

      Some of you came forward with details about various aspects of the campaign which saved me from tedious digging in obscure files while others read all or parts of the manuscript and offered comments and suggestions. Jake Pierro allowed me to see an early copy of his Ezra Carman book, and Timothy R. Snyder sent me a chapter from his manuscript about the C&O Canal in the Civil War covering Potomac River fords in detail. Tom Clemens and Steve French read my entire draft and supplied many helpful suggestions. Others concentrated on particular chapters: John Frye, Jim Rosebrock, Tom Ryan, Mark Duderow, Alan Tischler, and Ted Alexander. Some commented on specific segments in the book, supplied materials, and helped clarify issues: Steve Bockmiller, Bill Christen, Steve Cowie, Dean Essig, Terri Freiheit, Dave Gaddy, Philip Laino, Dr. Ronald Limbaugh, Gerry Mayers, Julie Maynard, J.D. Petruzzi, Nicholas Picerno, Dave Powell, Stephen Recker, Brian Richardson, Jim Rosebrock, Tom Shay, Teej Smith, Allan Tischler, and Eric Wittenberg.

      Brian Downey from "Antietam on the Web" allowed use of maps and photographs. For my Harpers Ferry chapter, Michelle Hammer at the Harpers Ferry Research Library and Dennis Frye supplied invaluable help; without Ms. Hammer's assistance in supplying materials and other references, that chapter would not be as detailed.

      Tom Clemens was very generous in allowing me access to his copies of hundreds of Carman's letters and other materials as well as patiently answering many questions in addition to his review of my entire draft. Ted Alexander gave me access to the Antietam National Battlefield Library. Craig Swain wrote the tour chapter and drew its maps which greatly enhance the book.

      Thanks again to all for your generous commitment of time and materials! My book should be out by mid-June 2012. I will donate 10% of the sale price for each book sold to SHAF. Harry Smeltzer will post details about how to order the book on a link from the SHAF website. http://shaf.org/ It should also be available from Amazon.

      Larry Freiheit
    • Scott D Hann
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25 12:08 PM
        Larry,

        I wish I had known about your book sooner. I have a CDV of Pvt. Thomas H.
        Stockton, 15th PA Cavalry who was one of the few cavalry men killed in the
        battle. Plus, I have a few details about his prior service with the 71st
        PA (discharged due to health, reenlisted in a branch of the service where
        he didn't have to do as much walking), and death. However I'm uncertain if
        he was killed at the Middle Bridge. Currently the image is on loan to the
        Antietam National Battlefield.

        Best wishes,

        Scott

        --
        *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm

        Message 3 of 6 , May 25 12:48 PM
          Scott,

          That is too bad as I did include something about him and it would have been a good spot to insert his CDV. Maybe if there is a second edition. :-) Here is part of what I included:

          "Capt. Palmer who had supplied Gov. Curtin and Alexander McClure as well as McClellan with excellent information about Rebel movements especially around Hagerstown, was not finished with his services and those of his 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry recruits. One of Palmer's troopers, Pvt. Frederic J. Anspach of Co. D, wrote that early on 17 September at Jones's Cross Roads, as well as in Hagerstown, Palmer rounded up all of his troopers he could find, and headed for the sound of the guns at Sharpsburg. As they got closer riding down the Hagerstown Pike, they began to hear the "rattle of Musketry and the
          shriek of shells" so they took down the fence along the pike and headed east, breaking down from column of fours to twos as they entered the field heading for the Union firing line. As the column began to file right paralleling the line of battle, Pvt. Thomas H. Stockton was shot through the heart and killed. The troopers were directed to form behind the infantry and allow no one to go to the rear unless wounded, while some were detailed to assist caring for the wounded."

          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Scott D Hann <sdhann@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Tom Clemens was very generous in allowing me access to his copies of
          > > hundreds of Carman's letters and other materials as well as patiently
          > > answering many questions in addition to his review of my entire draft. Ted
          > > Alexander gave me access to the Antietam National Battlefield Library.
          > > Craig Swain wrote the tour chapter and drew its maps which greatly enhance
          > > the book.
          > >
          > > Thanks again to all for your generous commitment of time and materials! My
          > > book should be out by mid-June 2012. I will donate 10% of the sale price
          > > for each book sold to SHAF. Harry Smeltzer will post details about how to
          > > order the book on a link from the SHAF website. http://shaf.org/ It
          > > should also be available from Amazon.
          > >
          > > Larry Freiheit
          > >

          > --
          > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam

        • Scott D Hann
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25 4:31 PM
            Larry, are you familiar with "*Letters Home, Sep. 17, 1862 � Feb. 21, 1865
            from Pvt. James Hervey Houston Co. D Anderson Cavalry Headquarters Dept.
            and Army of the Cumberland*, compiled by James H. Houston, Jr., 1997"?
            There's a brief account of Stockton's death:

            On the Battlefield. Sept

            I have been on my horse for
            four days without any sleep at all night & day. We have been in two
            skirmishes. One of my friends and myself was on picket and and the Rebels
            sharpshooters were on the same duty. We were on our horses standing in an
            open field and one of the sharpshooters spied us and fired and the ball
            struck my partner in the side and went right through his heart and he
            turned around on his horse and said oh! oh! and fell back and expired. I
            call for help and took him off the field. He was sent to Phila to day 18th.

            Geo. W. Jones and I were on the Battlefield with McCellan. Today our dead
            men were numerous, but oh the Rebels were awful. They laid three deep one
            on top of the other. We came back to camp tonight and now it is ten o'clock
            and George and I are both dropping a line home. It is or will be the first
            nights sleep we have had for four or five nights as we have been on the go
            all day and night.

            I want you to keep in good spirits and pray for my safety for I am in a
            very dangerous place & hope I may get through safe. Please tell mother I am
            safe and tell Mrs. Ferry that Tom is safe too. I saw all the boys and none
            of them have been wounded or killed. They have been hauling all the wounded
            to Hagerstown to day. The road was lined all day long with the wagons &
            carriages.

            I have not received you last letter, it is in Chambersburg. I cannot get it
            for a day or two until the Battle is over and we get settled down again. I
            have a great many things to tell but I cannot say them now. I have no more
            time to spare for I need sleep and rest so bad and you will excuse me I
            know.

            On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM, eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > Ted
            > > > Alexander gave me access to the Antietam National Battlefield Library.
            > > > Craig Swain wrote the tour chapter and drew its maps which greatly
            > enhance
            > > > the book.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks again to all for your generous commitment of time and
            > materials! My
            > > > book should be out by mid-June 2012. I will donate 10% of the sale
            > price
            > > > for each book sold to SHAF. Harry Smeltzer will post details about how
            > > > order the book on a link from the SHAF website. http://shaf.org/ It
            > > > should also be available from Amazon.
            > > >
            > > > Larry Freiheit
            > > >

            > > --
            > > *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
            > > http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
            > > http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

            *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam

          • Larry Freiheit
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25 4:54 PM
              Scott,

              No, I've not seen this book. Very interesting quote about Stockton!

              Larry

              Message 6 of 6 , May 25 5:42 PM
                Larry,

                The source is a type-written collection of 15th PA Cavalry letters I
                discovered at the USAMHI.

                I'm anxious to add a copy of your book to my library. Thanks for covering
                this over-looked facet of the Maryland Campaign.

                Scott