Re: [TalkAntietam] New Book

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2012
      Larry,

      When it’s time, provide us with ordering information – preferably a web link – for ordering information and we’ll put it on the SHAF website.

      Thanks,

      Harry

      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2012
        Will do, thx.

        ________________________________
        When it’s time, provide us with ordering information – preferably a web link – for ordering information and we’ll put it on the SHAF website.

        Thanks,

        Harry

        Have it now on my Amazon wish list! Think my cav book will be back from the printer before July 1; I will donate 10% of every sale to SHAF.

        ________________________________
        Scott Hartwig’s magnum opus on the Maryland Campaign is coming soon...

        http://bullrunnings.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/scott-hartwigs-maryland-campaign-magnum-opus-coming-soon/

        Harry

      • Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2012
          Speaking of new books, attached are my thoughts on Dennis Frye's new book, Harpers Ferry Under Fire. Really great telling of what was happening in Harpers Ferry during the war.
          Tom Clemens
          ________________________________

        • colliszouave@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2012

            I didn't receive your attachment. Can you please resend?

            I hope you and yours are well.

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters

            From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
            Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 17:10:56
            To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2012
              I didn't get it either Tom.

              Paula

              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2012

                Where can one get his book, other than at talks? Thanks.

                Stephen

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...> wrote:

                > Speaking of new books, attached are my thoughts on Dennis Frye's new book, Harpers Ferry Under Fire. Really great telling of what was happening in Harpers Ferry during the war.
                > Tom Clemens
                > ________________________________

              • Thomas G. Clemens
                Message 7 of 11 , May 20, 2012
                  Dennis' book is on sale at the bookstore in Harpers ferry National Historic Park, and likely at other NPS bookstores.
                  For those who had trouble with the attachment, here is what I wrote:
                  �It may be said with truth that no place in the United States experienced more of the horrors of war.� This was the sentiment expressed by Joseph Barry to describe the town of Harpers Ferry at the close of the Civil War. The horrors Barry referenced are described in vivid detail by Dennis Frye in Harpers Ferry under Fire, A Border Town in the American Civil War (Harpers Ferry Historical Association, 2012, 200pgs.), and the story is fascinating. When John Brown chose to disturb this bustling industrial town in 1859 it boasted government armory and arsenal, a critical railroad junction, several thriving industries and over 3,000 residents. By 1865 four years of war had destroyed the government facilities, ruined the industries and barely 300 residents remained. The story of how and why this happened is expertly woven into a readable, lively and profusely illustrated book easily read in a few hours. Following a chronological framework Frye describe one of the most important, hence one of the most contested, geographical points along the border of North and South. Aimed towards the casual reader, Harpers Ferry under Fire is remarkably clear and understandable, yet there is enough detail to satisfy well-seasoned Civil Warriors.
                  Frye�s focus is not limited to the military story of this unfortunate town, as he skillfully blends in the civilian experience as well as those who came to the Ferry to succor the wounded and sick and ordinary citizens who struggled to survive amidst to changing forces domination the region. In an almost chilling sense, Frye demonstrates how loyalty often was shunted aside in favor of survival. The wonder is that the 300 who stayed in the town were able to support themselves at all. The ebb and flow of troops, both Blue and Gray, through the town almost leaves one breathless just reading it. For those who experienced it the horror was much worse.
                  Adding greatly to this book are the many color illustrations appearing on nearly every page. Many are quite rare and seldom seen, others though familiar, dramatically amplify the context of the story. All the major players in the tale are pictured, and several color maps depict the attacks and defenses of the town. It is obvious that Frye has combed his nearly life-time research of Harpers Ferry in the Civil War to create this delightful book. Novice enthusiasts and casual readers will obtain a good working knowledge of the town and its struggles with contesting armies, shifting economics, and forces of nature, while experts will discover dimensions and tidbits previously unaddressed. This book is a must-read for anyone wishing to understand the story of Harpers Ferry.
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20, 2012
                    Thank you Tom!