RE: [TalkAntietam] Trip report: Snavely's Ford

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012

      Great photos !!!! Last one showing Roulette barn on left and Roulette house on the right in the distance... where French's division approached... did the division approach from the direction of the Mumma farmstead? I wonder because that would appear to be the general back direction from looking at the photo.

      Gerry

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 5:19 AM
        I took th e Roulette Farm photo during the hike led by Ranger Mike Gamble. It was the first time I app ro ached that farm from the northeast.

        Indeed, Fre n ch's Division did pass thru the area of Mumma F arm and the right flank of his three brigades went into the Mumma c ornfield.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 7:09 AM
          Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't believe the right flank of Kimball's brigade went into Mumma's Cornfield. The 1st Delaware of Weber's did, then the 14th Connecticut of Morris's did (ultimately shooting into the backs of the 1st DE), but the 14th Indiana of Kimball's had their right flank along the outside of the fence that bordered the East edge of Mumma's Cornfield, marching instead through the plowed field behind the Clipp house.

          You can see if here:
          http://antietam.aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=6

          BTW, Tom, great to see you at the park the other day.

          Stephen Recker