Re: [TalkAntietam] Trip report: Snavely's Ford

  • Scott D Hann
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28 7:27 PM
      Fantastic photos! Wish I could have been there with you. Thanks for
      posting them, but now, I'm jealous! Scott

      On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Two weeks ago, I headed for Antietam for some hiking and to join in on the
      > Ranger-led hike of French�s Division.
      >
      > In the early morning, I headed for Snavely�s Ford and here are some
      > photos, plus a few of the Antietam farmsteads.
      >

      > http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/Antietam_Trip_Reports/Antietam_2012_04_14/antietam_2012_04_14.htm
      >
      > Tom Shay

      *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
      http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
      http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

    • Larry Freiheit
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29 5:22 AM
        Thanks for these great photos. A few weeks ago I tried to approach the ford from the other side of the Antietam from Burnside Bridge Road--couldn't make much progress. I guess it is private property anyway.

        Larry Freiheit

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30 6:10 PM

          Great photos !!!! Last one showing Roulette barn on left and Roulette house on the right in the distance... where French's division approached... did the division approach from the direction of the Mumma farmstead? I wonder because that would appear to be the general back direction from looking at the photo.

          Gerry

        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2012
            I took th e Roulette Farm photo during the hike led by Ranger Mike Gamble. It was the first time I app ro ached that farm from the northeast.

            Indeed, Fre n ch's Division did pass thru the area of Mumma F arm and the right flank of his three brigades went into the Mumma c ornfield.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2012
              Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't believe the right flank of Kimball's brigade went into Mumma's Cornfield. The 1st Delaware of Weber's did, then the 14th Connecticut of Morris's did (ultimately shooting into the backs of the 1st DE), but the 14th Indiana of Kimball's had their right flank along the outside of the fence that bordered the East edge of Mumma's Cornfield, marching instead through the plowed field behind the Clipp house.

              You can see if here:
              http://antietam.aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=6

              BTW, Tom, great to see you at the park the other day.

              Stephen Recker