Re: [TalkAntietam] Trip report: Snavely's Ford

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2012
      Thanks, Tom –great shots !!!

      Regards,
      Tom B.

      From: RoteBaron
      Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:20 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Trip report: Snavely's Ford

      Two weeks ago, I headed for Antietam for some hiking and to join in on the Ranger-led hike of French’s Division.

      In the early morning, I headed for Snavely’s Ford and here are some photos, plus a few of the Antietam farmsteads.

      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/Antietam_Trip_Reports/Antietam_2012_04_14/antietam_2012_04_14.htm

    • Scott D Hann
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2012
        Fantastic photos! Wish I could have been there with you. Thanks for
        posting them, but now, I'm jealous! Scott

        On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Two weeks ago, I headed for Antietam for some hiking and to join in on the
        > Ranger-led hike of French�s Division.
        >
        > In the early morning, I headed for Snavely�s Ford and here are some
        > photos, plus a few of the Antietam farmsteads.
        >

        > http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/Antietam_Trip_Reports/Antietam_2012_04_14/antietam_2012_04_14.htm
        >
        > Tom Shay

        *Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
        http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
        http://shaf.org/* <http://shaf.org/>

      • Larry Freiheit
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2012
          Thanks for these great photos. A few weeks ago I tried to approach the ford from the other side of the Antietam from Burnside Bridge Road--couldn't make much progress. I guess it is private property anyway.

          Larry Freiheit

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012

            Great photos !!!! Last one showing Roulette barn on left and Roulette house on the right in the distance... where French's division approached... did the division approach from the direction of the Mumma farmstead? I wonder because that would appear to be the general back direction from looking at the photo.

            Gerry

          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2012
              I took th e Roulette Farm photo during the hike led by Ranger Mike Gamble. It was the first time I app ro ached that farm from the northeast.

              Indeed, Fre n ch's Division did pass thru the area of Mumma F arm and the right flank of his three brigades went into the Mumma c ornfield.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2012
                Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't believe the right flank of Kimball's brigade went into Mumma's Cornfield. The 1st Delaware of Weber's did, then the 14th Connecticut of Morris's did (ultimately shooting into the backs of the 1st DE), but the 14th Indiana of Kimball's had their right flank along the outside of the fence that bordered the East edge of Mumma's Cornfield, marching instead through the plowed field behind the Clipp house.

                You can see if here:
                http://antietam.aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=6

                BTW, Tom, great to see you at the park the other day.

                Stephen Recker