Captain Merwin Eugene Cornell, 102nd New York Infantry KIA Antietam

  • ScottH
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2012
      Does anyone know of unpublished sources, particularly soldiers' letters, about the participation of the 102nd New York at Antietam? As you can see, my particular interest is Captain Merwin Eugene Cornell. So far, this has been the best source:

      Ontario Republican Times, Canandaigua, NY Wednesday October 15, 1862, Pg. 3

      "The brigade consisted of four regiments, 102nd NY, 3rd Maryland, and the 109th [detached from the brigade, and did not participate in the battle] and 111th Pennsylvania. They proceeded until within about 200 feet of the woods, when the rebels poured a terrible volley into their very faces. The right of the line, composed of the Pennsylvania and Maryland regiments, were thrown into confusion, which communicated itself to the 102nd - Capt. CORNELL, with a quick eye, seeing the crisis, threw himself to the front, waved his sword and called to his men, "Don't falter; don't fall back. Come on boys, follow me," and thus - "foremost fighting, fell."

      While in advance in full dress, a regulation uniform, he presented a conspicuous mark. A rebel bullet pierced his brain, he threw up his arms, reeled, fell in the arms of one of his men, who sprung forward to receive him, and died without a groan. The brigade rallied, drove the rebels from the wood and beyond and held the ground thus gallantly won."
    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
        Let me know if you come across any mention of a Nellie King who served in the 102nd New York with her brother. I think it was in Captain Avery's Company.
        Bill Christen
        Does anyone know of unpublished sources, particularly soldiers' letters, about the participation of the 102nd New York at Antietam?

      • Thomas G. Clemens
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
          Scott & Bill,
          In the Gould Papers there are quite a few letters from members of the 102nd NY. Gould even wrote a summary of the regiment's experience at Antietam which mentions Cornell being "shot in the head by a sharpshooter." There are too many for me to read tonight, I am in the midst of grading research papers, starting final exams Wednesday, but I can get to them later on. WIll be happy to provide copies of anything of interest. Let me know if ther is a pressing deadline, etc.
          Tom Clemens
          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
            Hi Tom,

            Thanks for your generous offer. There's no deadline for the material.
            Since I've acquired the Cornell image I've thought about writing
            something about Stainrook's Brigade at Antietam. Previously, I was
            leaning towards Goodrich's. Small, often overlooked, brigades.

            Scott

            On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Thomas G. Clemens
            <tgclemens@...> wrote:
            > Scott & Bill,
            > In the Gould Papers there are quite a few letters from members of the 102nd NY.  Gould even wrote a summary of the regiment's experience at Antietam which mentions Cornell being "shot in the head by a sharpshooter."  There are too many for me to read tonight, I am in the midst of grading research papers, starting final exams Wednesday, but I can get to them later on.  WIll be happy to provide copies of anything of interest.  Let me know if ther is a pressing deadline, etc.
            > Tom Clemens

            Value the sacrifice and serenity that is Antietam
            http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
            http://shaf.org/
          • Thomas G. Clemens
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2012
              OK, will get to it when I can. Agreed, Greene's whole division gets too little attention. You'd be surprised how many guys wrote Gould thinking that Goodrich was Mansfield. They saw a guy on horseback they did not know who got shot and assumed it was Mansfield.